Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Waiting For A Train, On A Bike

While giving night photography lessons to a friend I had eventually packed up my gear and decided I was finished shooting.

Before leaving the house I had pocketed my girlfriend's newest monkey (later sending her a cellphone photo of him, with a ransom demand Big Grin)
My friend was going to shoot this train while I watched, but at the last second decided to have some fun and make a nice desktop wallpaper for Sylvia:
[Image: kak.waitingnanners.jpg]

That's when this young man on a bike arrived, and I liked how obvious his impatience was at having to wait for the train:
[Image: kak.waitingbike1.jpg]

He was only motionless for the exact number of seconds in my exposure, then started riding in circles, so I couldn't re-compose for a better photo (that didn't have a RR signal "growing" out of his head).

Then he rolled much closer to the tracks and paused again for the last photo:
[Image: kak.waitingbike2.jpg]

I was glad that the little stuffed monkey got me to pull out the camera or I would have missed the guy on the bike.
The monkey's name is Nanners.

I like a lot the wallpaper for Sylvia. Very sweet picture.
The motion effect of the train is great and how lucky you were that he moved for you to have a different composition..... Wink

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

KeithAlanK Wrote:Before leaving the house I had pocketed my girlfriend's newest monkey (later sending her a cellphone photo of him, with a ransom demand Big Grin)
Thank you for writing the oddest thing I expect to read on the Internet today.

That last photo is really good. I think you could make a great series out of these.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:That last photo is really good.
agreed... id really like to see that one cropped to just above the train to see what its like panoramic and without the big glaring light.

all fantastic though... the sort of shots one would dream of, but could NEVER plan.

be honest... I can take it.
-

www.lukeray.com

I really like the mood in these Keith - moments can just happen and it is good to always have a camera to record them.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:...it is good to always have a camera to record them.
Considering the 8 second exposure times, a camera on a tripod to record them. Big Grin

matthew Wrote:I think you could make a great series out of these.
I'm working on a whole article for the Railroad Photo Essays site.
I'm looking for one photo I lost during computer swaps, and plan to shoot a few more.

Waiting for trains to pass is an interesting subject to me.
I see so many people who get angry at the delay, but I've always enjoyed taking a "forced" break from my day to relax and watch a train go by.

But then, I leave myself plenty of time to get where I'm going so even a long train never ruins my reputation for puntuality. Big Grin

Hi Keith:

Great night shots. I m going to disagree slightly with a previous post regarding cropping the last shot. IMO night photography is about light of all kinds - soft mysterious light, glaring blaring light and big black spaces. These are the things that we see at night but that you don't see during the day. In night shooting, I like to see strange lights with different color temperatures. That is the magic of night shots to me.

It is a subject that I have been thinking a lot about lately - I have doing another photography show in the spring - and I am doing *all* night shots for it including a lot of the cafe shots that I have posted previously. I wish some of your night shots were mine for this show. Keep up the great work.

Thanks, Toad.

3 is my favorite, awesome how that little lamp on the house shines "through" the train!

Uli

You captured some amazing lights, Cool stuff!

John

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

Nanners is perfectly lit; good stuff. I also like the last one too, echoing Toad's view that night is a time of all manner of hidden and unexpected lighting. I'd have maybe cropped right up to the outer edge of the pole....forgive me: hope you don't mind me having a play around here Keith! I've also (poorly) cloned amd patched around so as to try and keep attention on the cyclist.

[Image: bike-zigged.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I don't mind, Zig.
But getting rid of the cars sort of loses the snapshot-like quality I was shooting for.
For me this was about street shooting, but with a tripod and night photography skills.
Still, I appreciate seeing your interpretation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 4, 2017, 21:25