Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Water off a Duck's Back

I took this shot yesterday of a duck washing itself.
It would dip its head underwater and then flick it back, splashing water over its back. It would then shake the water off vigourously.
[Image: A1513_ST.jpg]
Needless to say I am very impressed with this camera. It seems to deal with situations like this with ease. The duck's feathers are razor-sharp when viewed at 100%, and the colours and contrast are spectacular. 800iso is also wonderfully noise-free, allowing me to use it without giving a second thought to any loss of IQ.
It looks like my PP time will be cut dramatically from now on, as so many shots come out of the camera looking just how I want them to.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Aren't ducks beautiful birds to photograph?... Smile

Very beautiful picture, Kombi...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Truely amazing image. Can you post some average ones now and then to make me feel better about myself?

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

I am pleased you like the camera so much, I think we all appreciate what you can do with it.Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wow! F/2, off-centre subject, varying distances, movement... perfectly sharp and excellent depth of field. I'm really impressed.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Very impressive ISO performance - and a great shot all around.

Kombi - fantastic image. The 135 combined with the Mark 3 and your talent certainly are a formidible weapon.

Canon stuff.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Smile
I feel like a bit of a fraud with this shot though, as it is the camera and lens that makes the shot rather than me.

I just pointed at the duck and held down the button machine-gun style! Big Grin With 10fps and ducks that are happy to sit there washing themselves and ignoring me, the only tough part about this shot was having to wade through the 125 RAW files I ended up with in DPP to find the best shot.
Surprisingly, the hit rate was very high among those 125 shots. There are shots where the AF focussed on water rather than duck understandably, but hardly any where it was left not focussed on anything or caught mid-way between subjects. Beyond that, every shot had really interesting water splashes and contorted duck parts in it!

Here's another shot - The duck is ducking its head under in order to scoop water over its back... this time the AF is on the duck's bill and water splash and the shallow DOF means it's eyes drop out of focus unfortunately, but I love the shape of the water.
[Image: A1503_ST.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Wow, very sharp. Looks like you are enjoying your new toy....

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

That is the oddest photo of a duck that I have ever seen. But that's not a bad thing -- it makes for a very interesting image.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

wow beautiful

Unbelievable!

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

That seems as though you are underwater, looking up at the duck. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Too cool, Especially the second one. Have a similar image, but it's a goose. Your timing was spot on! Wink

John

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

Excellent ad of both the camera and you, old chap.
I do agree with smarti: please post a few howlers now and then to help me with my self-worth issues...
Smile

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post