Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Waterfalls

I joined the forum a couple of months back and thought it was about time I put my head into the lion's den. These photos were taken last week in Teesdale. It's a stunning location and I'm not sure that I've done it justice. I found the early morning sun quite tricky to handle and recalled reading somewhere that waterfalls were best photographed without direct sunlight. There was also little in the way of foreground, which I found quite challenging. Most of the time I couldn't decide whether to go closer in or further back. Your comments would be very welcome, because I shall be going back! The shots were all at ISO200, ranging from 1/25-1/100sec, 24-40mm and f14-16. Cheers. Rob            

Lovely scenes. I find the strong blues a bit distracting. Maybe a bit too much saturation. I can understand the red peaty colour.

The lack of foreground interest is a matter of taste. I think you have enough.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

What, if any, post processing. Ed.

To each his own!

Very nice images, Rob. I like the colours, and what a pleasure it is to see real water rather than cotton-wool. The foreground doesn't need anything else - these photos are all about the streams of water tumbling over the rocks, and the fact that you have shown those from foreground into background gives the images good almost 3D depth. Those are my opinions anyway.

Cheers.
Philip

Many thanks for your feedback. In answer to Ed's question, I processed the image in Lightroom, which I'm finally starting to get to grips with, and was concentrating on trying to balance the light and dark areas. The early morning sun had created deep shadows, but I also wanted to keep some detail in the sky. Rightly or wrongly, my objective at the time of shooting was to expose at the point where the highlights were no longer clipping. I'm grateful to NT73 for correctly pointing out that the water in the Tees is very peaty and really was the colour shown here. I've taken on board the strong blues and hope this new image is more to his liking (and more faithful to what I thought I saw on the day). Thanks again. Rob

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes It seems more natural now. Like I remember it.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks NT73. I'll get to work on the other two! I should have guessed you'd been there. For anyone who hasn't, it's Low Force Waterfall in Newbiggin just outside Middleton in Teesdale. And, yes, there is also a High Force, which I have yet to visit. I think you have to pay for that one, which could be why I haven't been. Rob

Thanks, they did appear a bit over cooked on my monitor, but that's a personal thing.. As Philip said, it's water, that looks like water, never seen it looking like cotton wool, ever. 3 great pics, and, well worth a return visit(s). Ed.

To each his own!

I got a free pass to High Force, thanks to a kite flying hobby.

Lumix LX5.

My goodness - stunning images

Thanks a lot. I have to say it's a great location.

Wow, the images are stunning. However, agree with the comment re the blue colouration and the revised much better.

I like them. Especially #2
I feel a real sense of action and dramma .......... Well done!

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

(Oct 31, 2014, 07:02)RobS Wrote:  I joined the forum a couple of months back and thought it was about time I put my head into the lion's den. These photos were taken last week in Teesdale. It's a stunning location and I'm not sure that I've done it justice. I found the early morning sun quite tricky to handle and recalled reading somewhere that waterfalls were best photographed without direct sunlight. There was also little in the way of foreground, which I found quite challenging. Most of the time I couldn't decide whether to go closer in or further back. Your comments would be very welcome, because I shall be going back! The shots were all at ISO200, ranging from 1/25-1/100sec, 24-40mm and f14-16. Cheers. Rob

(Oct 31, 2014, 10:28)NT73 Wrote:  Lovely scenes. I find the strong blues a bit distracting. Maybe a bit too much saturation. I can understand the red peaty colour.

The lack of foreground interest is a matter of taste. I think you have enough.

Excellent and brings back memories Rob, the second one is High force, its a good walk and if you are a member of The National Trust its free.
Mark Stewart-Clarke

http://www.picture-in-focus.co.uk/pic_fo...e_2010.JPG
http://www.picture-in-focus.co.uk/pic_fo..._force.jpg