Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wedding photos using an EF 35mm f/1.4L (8 photos)

I figure it's been ages since I posted any photos on here, so I'd better show you guys something..

These are a few shots from a wedding I shot in Tasmania for some good friends of mine about a month ago, all taken on a 1D MkIII with Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L lens.
Of course I was using other gear too, but I was interested in how this particular lens performed throughout the day/night and thought I'd show you guys the results.

[Image: AB_B8566_ST.jpg]

[Image: AB_B8581-Edit_ST.jpg]

[Image: AB_B8589_ST.jpg]

[Image: AB_B8594_ST.jpg]

[Image: AB_B9906-Edit_ST.jpg]

[Image: AB_B0080-Edit_ST.jpg]

[Image: AB_B9920-Edit_ST.jpg]

[Image: AB_B9961_ST.jpg]

All the night-time shots shown here were taken around an extemely dark dance-floor with just disco-lighting. I used bounce-flash to help out with some of them, but others are just natural light.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Nice to see you again Ade; yes, I'm interested too!
I'd value your thoughts on this lens and on any "learning curve" a lens of this quality may, er, necessitate, yet I'm sure you've absolutely no time to do this!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Wonderful, exceptional wedding photos. I love the candid style.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Love the captured expressions especially in #2 Smile

The 35L is my favourite lens! Smile

Lovely work Adrian,

Love the first two - the way you have handled the shallow DOF on them is beautiful.

Well done.

Canon stuff.

Thanks guys.
I was really happy, particularly with #2 of the bride and her two bridesmaids. All three of them are close friends of mine so I was stoked to get a shot like that of them.

Zig, as far as a learning curve goes... well it's not really different to any other fast prime, except that I am much more confident shooting with this lens than most others. The shallow depth of field can be unforgiving when shooting wide open, but that's also where it can really shine. Unlike some fast primes I can mention (EF 50mm f/1.8, *cough*, Sigma 28mm f/1.8, *cough*), at least the 35L has fast, silent, and accurate autofocus which can be critical at wide apertures.

Group shots at wide apertures can be tricky, but they aren't impossible if you manage to get all the faces the same distance from the camera so they'll all be in focus at once. The success of shot #2 at f/1.6 was partly due to me getting into a decent position beforehand but also partly just dumb luck that I got all three faces sharp. If I were going to do the same shot again, I'd probably stop it down to around f/2.2 to be safer.

My overall thoughts on the 35L..... I love it! I can see why it is part of the Canon "Holy Trinity". After being disappointed by a couple of other fast primes (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 and Sigma 28mm f/1.8) I'm happy to report that this lens is everything a fast prime should be, and inspires confidence when using it. Of couse given the price, so it should!

I can see why it is Adam's favourite lens. As for my favourite, well, I think that honour still belongs to my EF 135mm f/2L which holds it's own against the all-conquering EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post