Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Weekend in Kulin (Western Australian Country Town)

Hey guys,

Here are a couple of photos from a weekend I had down in a little country town called Kulin (about 280 km inland from Perth, West Aus, on the edge of nowhere).
One of my best friends was living down there for a while with her farmer fiance, so I would occassionally go down for weekends to stay with them. We'd do nothing but talk and have a few drinks and perhaps catch some yabbies to cook on the BBQ. There's a lot to be said for the simple things in life Smile

[Image: JustinsUte.jpg]

[Image: AfternoonHaystacks.jpg]

They have recently moved to New Zealand where they've bought their own farm... so expect some photos from kiwi-land when I go over there for their wedding!!

All comments welcome with regards to these photos. I'm posting them because I think they *almost* work, but I think there is something missing, or not quite right about them. But I can't quite put my finger on it.
I wish I had a wider lens for that first shot, and perhaps a strong fill-in flash might have exposed the ute a bit better (which can't decide whether its a silhoette or not).
I love the patterns and long afternoon shadows in the haystack photo, but there probably just aren't enough of the haystacks to really nail the point home. Maybe I should clone a heap more in in photoshop? Wink

Thanks in advance for comments...
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Sorry for not being able to give some serious critics yet...
Very nice pictures.. Great sky on the 1st and lovely shaddows on 2nd.

What's a yabby? Big Grin

Thanks Jacco,

jacco Wrote:What's a yabby? Big Grin

A yabbie is a small freshwater crayfish that lives in dams and waterholes. They are delicious when fresh, and taste a lot like crabs or lobster I guess.

http://www.arkive.org/species/GES/invert..._info.html

http://ausopals.futureweb.com.au/alb/Mor...yabbie.htm

http://www.pbase.com/philinnz/image/24484704

http://www.abc.net.au/westqld/stories/s1192902.htm

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton

Pretty good stuff, K. I wqould crop the second one a little bit to get rid of the shadow on the lower left, and a bit of the extra space on the left.

like so...

[Image: 99_test.jpg]

This puts more focus on the house and the forms of the haystacks.

Nice pics K. Love the colours -- they're superb!

#1 - I think the car should be lightened or removed altogether - there's not enough interest in the dark shadow. I love the rest of the picture though, especially the sky.

#2 - I like the lines...

Woohoo I love Kulin, I go down to cover the bush races most years. The little tin creations outisde the town are cool!

For what its worth I think dump the car out of the first pic too, beautiful skyline otherwise. 2nd one not sure, maybe its because it is so distant. I would try to just capture the bales and nothing else.

Thanks guys,

You're right toad, your crop does look better. I was trying to keep that left-most hay-bale in the frame, but the tree silhoette in the corner was distracting.

I kind of agree with you ST and definately see your point. I'm not sure what I think of the car - I agree that it doesn't look that good, but I think it does add some character to the photo.
I wish I had've walked around and taken a couple of shots without the car in it, and also tried a few other things. Nevermind.
I also like the lines in the 2nd one.. it looks like the bales are racing each other around the field.

Hey StudioJ.. I think *everyone* in Perth seems to know and love Kulin! I can't understand it, seeing as it only has about 450-odd people who live there. But as soon as I mention it to anyone here, they all seem to have a story or know someone who lives there or grew up there. From the few times I've been there, it seems like a great community. The locals are great, and the place is just full of character.
I missed the bush races last year, but heard loads of stories. These photos were taken very close to where the bush races were held (the one of the hay bales is taken from on top of the huge rock overlooking the bush-races).

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton

Kombisaurus Wrote:I think *everyone* in Perth seems to know and love Kulin!

This is the first time I've heard of Kulin.

Nice pictures! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Peted
Apr 12, 2005, 02:58