Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Went to Guitar Center Today!

Found a Guitar Center not too far from work, so during lunch break I trekked over there with a co-worker who plays guitar/bass/keys.

This place is amazing! For those not familiar with it, GC is the largest retailer of musical instruments in the US, and they also run the online shop Musician's Friend. Not sure if they have overseas locations. http://www.guitarcenter.com http://www.musiciansfriend.com The assistant manager that I dealt with was very knowledgeable, informing me of the quality differences between Korean-made, Chinese-made, Indonesian-made, and Mexican-made guitars in my price range.

First I played with a Schecter Omen 6 (PRS-style) at the recommendation of the assistant manager, but I didn't care for it. The neck is shorter (and perhaps thinner) than average, and while I don't have large hands, I found it awkward compared to my classical acoustic guitar. Action was very low, with notable fret buzz; my co-worker insisted this was normal, so I must question his sanity. I imagine that this would be a very good setup for a fast-playing metal guitarist.

Next I played with a classic, the Fender Standard Telecaster. Very different! Of course the neck is longer than that of the Schecter, but not more than average. Even unamped I could tell the difference in sound - very twangy/jangly/country. With two single-coil pups, I think it is a little too bright for my ears, and so now I'm leaning toward a warmer tone.

Up next was the Ephiphone LP-100, a Les Paul copy. Much more my style! I understand now why some people complain about LP necks being so thick, but for me it seemed very familiar. This is a heavy guitar too, though it's not as thick as a real LP. I liked the sound and feel, but I have some hesitations over Epi quality in this price range ...

Finally, I test drove a semi-hollow body Ibanez Artcore AS73, designed after the Gibson ES-335. Oooh, nice! To my inexperienced hands, this felt like the highest quality machine I sampled today. A pleasant surprise was that it was not very loud unamped, which means my previously discussed "spousal situation" should not be a factor. (I also strummed a full hollow-body and the volume difference was obvious.)

SO WHAT DID I BUY?

Some picks, a set of replacement tuners for my acoustic, that's it. Big Grin I'm going to do some more shopping, spend some more time researching, etc. I can't buy it until Christmas so I've got time. While it may seem like I'm leaning toward the Ibanez, I also liked the Les Paul and can buy an LP copy which is reportedly of higher quality than the Epi, but at a lower price: Agile AL-2500, or get some very nice upgrades for about the same price: Agile AL-2800. (Agile has gotten rave reviews on Harmony Central and other web review sites.)

Getting closer to finding my axe!

thanks fo sharing slej! that was a most interesting read indeed. looks like it is good to do some research beforehand so that you know what the salesman ts trying to recommend to you. but there's no substitute for actually having a play eh?

now, to get my licks polished... stairway to heaven?

shuttertalk Wrote:now, to get my licks polished... stairway to heaven?

I just did some very basic scales, then I launched into "Smells Like Teen Spirit." :o Tongue :o

[Image: 1.gif]

Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 19, 2011, 06:26