Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What a month ! ( warning lots of photos )

Hello fellow Shuttertalkers ,

Sorry i have been so quiet lately , i have had a very busy June, and went on vacation in the wonderful country of Costa Rica . This was the first time for me to leave the States , and really didnt know what to expect . I dont speak a bit of Spanish ( well nothing that would help me LOL ) . I really didnt get the chance to shoot everything that i saw , but i thought i would share some of my photos with yall .

This is Manuel Antonio Beach . We stayed right across the street from the beach for a couple of days . This was the first morning here .

[Image: _MG_0486%20copy%204.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0494%20copy.jpg]

I dont know what this island is named but it didnt look like anyone could get on it . LOL

[Image: _MG_0491%20copy%202.jpg]

We went on a hike through the rain forest , what an amazing place !

A " Rainbow Toucan "

[Image: _MG_0526%20copy.jpg]

A " Bannana Billed Toucan "

[Image: _MG_0548%20copy%202.jpg]

" White faced Capuchin " sorry about the camera shake , i know its not a great shot but i wanted to share it with yall .

[Image: _MG_1035%20copy.jpg]

We also went a a great adventure , one that i will never forget . My brother wouldnt tell any of us what we were going to do . After a ride for about a hour up a mountain in a four wheel drive truck ( which was a great time ) we had to hike about a half mile to a little cabin area . We ate some home cooked breakfast ( Costa Rican style ) Then the guide started putting these harnesses on us , and handed us a helmet . You can only think what i was thinking LOL. it was kind of like OH MY God what have i gotten into . LOL .

The Gear

[Image: _MG_0559%20copy.jpg]

Yep we were going repelling ! Now here we are , only one of us speaks Spanish and the guide can speak some English but we only knew half of what was going to go on .
We set out on a little walk and stopped at a suspension bridge that i thought " what a cool looking bridge " . Thing was i didnt know that i was fixing to walk over it LOL . I am not afraid of heights ,or much else , but when that thing started to swing and bounce i wasnt sure i was having fun anymore . LOL .

The Bridge is about 380 feet long and around 120 feet up . We were only allowed 6 people at a time on it .

[Image: _MG_0568%20copy.jpg]

Now that thats over :o . Its time for the fun . The guide told me to bring my camera , he would be sure to keep it " dry " . I said " DRY ? " why would it get wet ? no reason to worry he said , hes a " expert " .

So after the bridge and a small hike we get to a swimming hole , no i didnt get in i was having to much fun shooting . here are a few of the guys and the guides swimming and diving .

standing in a small waterfall. the man without a shirt is the guide.

[Image: _MG_0588%20copy.jpg]

one of my brothers .

[Image: _MG_0595%20copy.jpg]

Now the reason we are there , the repelling , but not down the side of the waterfall ! RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF IT !

The practice falls , this waterfall was " only 40 feet tall " we did the small fall to learn what we were doing . Talk about a crash course in repelling . There was only 2 people in our group that have ever repelled before .

Practice

[Image: _MG_0733%20copy.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0747%20copy.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0782%20copy.jpg]

Everyone made it without a scratch , and yes even my LOL . No i dont have any pics of me yet ( they are on my brothers camera ) .

Now that we have this repelling stuff down pat ( yea right ) , we get to the next falls . This is a monster , well for this Mississippi Delta Boy LOL.
This fall is about 150 foot up and the sound of the water is deafening . We had to yell just to talk.

The Guides Helper .

[Image: _MG_0816%20copy.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0819%20copy.jpg]

My Brothers

[Image: _MG_0827%20copy.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0838%20copy.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0852%20copy.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0869%20copy.jpg]

The Gang not a great shot , i was shaking with excitement . ITS MY TURN !!!!

[Image: _MG_0916%20copy.jpg]

Thanks for letting me bore you with all my excitement .

........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I forgot to say if you look at the bridge picture the water on the left is the waterfall we went down .

...... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

It sounds like a great trip, BD, thanks for sharing it. I've never heard of rappelling down a waterfall -- and certainly can't imagine doing it. I like my water flat. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Great shots and story, Drake! Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Thanks Matthew and Toad ,

Yes it was a wonderful trip , Costa Rica is a special place that i think everone should visit .

....... Shawn

Wonderful to hear your news and see the photos of your trip Shawn. I really like these "news" style posts.

Canon stuff.

Looks like you had a wonderful and wet holiday Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Thank WS and Pat ,

yes it was a great trip , i am glad that yall enjoyed the photos .

..... Shawn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post