Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What do I need to record?

I want to be able to record my guitars along with a drum track - this is only to be used as a learning aid, not for professional recording.

As my acoustic does not have electronics, I am guessing that I will mic both that and my electric (well, mic the amp, of course.)

For simplicity, I will use my computer as the recorder. There is some pretty good freeware recording/editing software, such as Audacity.

So here's where I'm lost:

1st, can I simply connect an instrument mic to the mic input on the pc? Or do I need to run it through some sort of intermediary device? Will I blow up my computer's sound card doing this?

2nd, if I put a drum processor (probably a Digitech RP50 effects pedal with built-in drum presets) between the guitar and the amp, and then I play with overdrive and/or distortion on the amp, won't the drums also be distorted? That would not be good.

3rd, would it be better to bypass my amp and just run the Digitech straight into the computer? Of course, this means I couldn't record the acoustic at all...

4th, what other low-budget options are there for home recording?

TIA,

Slej:

I'd run a direct lead to a small mixer from the electric,
a mike to the mixer for the acoustic
and a direct lead to the mixer from a drum machine.
The average audio card will accept an input from a small mixer, but the biggest issue is latency.

Software......... I still use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, which is about 6 years out of date. :o

Cave canem

Thanks Ruf.

I definitely want to mic the amp, not run direct. The Vox valvetronix circuitry is bypassed if you use the amp's outputs (headphone out only on the 30W - no line out.) A mic is the only way to get the Vox's tube tone.

I've heard good things about Cakewalk - it comes bundled with some mixers, no?

Okay - mixers. Any recommendations for small and cheap? I don't think I'd need more than a 4-track. No bells or whistles necessary.

I've figured out the acoustic electronics problem - both Seymour Duncan and Dean Markley make soundhole single-coil p/ups that are relatively inexpensive. So I can run it through the amp, or into the digitech.

I dont know about cakewalk coming bundled, it cost me £300 (I think)!!!!! :o

Mixers.
I tried Soundcraft and Mackie, and only the Mackie provided the low noise, high quality pre-amps that digital recording demands. I STRONGLY recommend the Mackie 1202VLZ pro.

Ultra-low noise, highest headroom in its class
4 new precision-engineered XDR™ Extended Dynamic Range premium studio-grade mic preamps
Advanced DC pulse transformer RF rejection
12 line inputs (4 mono, 4 stereo pairs)
Separate RCA-type tape/CD inputs and tape outputs (unbalanced)
2 aux sends with 15dB of extra gain above Unity
Constant-loudness pan pots
2 stereo aux returns w/EFX to Monitor
Aux 1 master w/ Monitor/Post assign
3-band active EQ (80Hz, 2.5kHz, 12kHz) 18dB/oct. 75Hz Lo Cut filter eliminates stage rumble, wind noise, P-pops and low frequency recording studio room resonances
Extra ALT 3-4 stereo bus for submixes, separate recording, monitor and 'mix minus' feeds
Control Room/Phones multi-input source matrix
Phantom power for premium condenser mics
Rugged steel chassis, sealed rotary controls
Built-in power supply--no wall wart

It's false economy to buy a small, cheap mixer. You'll need to trade up in weeks!

Cave canem

Ooh, that Mackie is a nice looking machine. Price isn't too bad, either.

But, it is truly overkill for my needs, at least for the next couple of years.

Most likely I think I'll just bypass the amp altogether, and go straight into the little Digitech and then to the computer. It's the lowest-budget way to get acceptable sound...

Of course, if I really wanted to go cheap, I'd just use the little mic that came with the computer. :o

Hi slej,

Given that you've said up front that you're not into it for recording a song, but just for practice purposes, perhaps the Line 6 GuitarPort or Rifftracker may be the thing for you?

I currently use an Edirol UA-5 box which is effectively an external USB soudcard with 2 combo inputs (accepts XLR and 1/4" jacks). I only record one or two tracks at a time which is fine. The unit is quiet enough for me and I haven't had much of a problem with latency.

For software, I use Adobe Audition (which used to be Cool Edit Pro), which is a great wave editor, but not so great sequencer.

So I whack my guitar/mic into the UA-5, which connects to my PC via USB and hey presto!

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Hey Axeman, thanks, I'll look into those - especially the USB solution. In fact, now I'm wondering if my Plextor movie converter will accept a mic and allow me to record .... time to experiment this weekend!

I've heard of the GuitarPort but wasn't clear if I need an online subscription for it. Most of what I've seen suggests that I do ... ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post