Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Whats the meaning of WWW?

Water, Wind and Woodworm! Big Grin

[Image: 11_WaterWindAndWoodworm.jpg]

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

I think that you may have the beginnings of something really good here...the background color and detail are very nice, and the overall lighting and tone is also compelling. The wood post has the appearance of a human face turned away from the world behind - either in sadness or in shame ala the Elephant Man or one of the figures from Rodin's "The Bergers of Calais".

I can suggest a couple of improvements which as usual you are free to disregard.

- I would like to see the texture of the wood much more accentuated - Select just the wood post and posterize it (apply "Poster Edges" to it if you use PhotoShop) to really make the texture leap out. Don Schaeffer did this on Irma's bench photo for an example. Then I would sharpen the post significantly to further enhance the separation between the subject and it's blurred environment. This would strengthen the mood of alienation that I get from this one.

- If this is a crop, I would leave just a bit more on the bottom to strengthen the impression that this is a human body.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Toad, you really gave me some ideas here. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

Just one question: In photoshop, I normally open my pics with 16 bit color, but then a lot of the filters are disabled. Will I lose quality if I downgrade to 8 bit to get the filters back? I never really checked it out, I'm a programmer and I just 'know' that 16 bit is better than 8. Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

I don't really know. I know when I convert from RAW to use in PhotoShop, I need to downgrade the color depth to make the filters work. I always do it - so I can't really tell you whether I lose quality or not. It stands to reason that you do - but PS is the tool of choice for pros - so perhaps they are able to compensate in some way.

Anyone else know about this?

What an excellent image. I agree with Toad's remarks about having the grain stand out more.
As far as changing from 16 bit to 8 bit, I believe that you can change back to 16 with no colour loss. I am not 100% on that though. I have a feeling Mitch has the answer on this.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images