Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wheat Field near Yilliminning

I took this shot in a wheat field just off Yilliminning Rd over Easter.
It was taken with an MC Arsat 35mm f/2.8 tilt/shift lens on my Canon 30D.
I was lying on my stomach to get close to the ground, and deliberately set the tilt and lens rotation to give a combination of foreground/background sharp focus while also including obvious out-of-focus areas (I didn't use any shift). The (manual) aperture was set to about f/4, shutter speed was 1/4000th sec, and 100 ISO.

[Image: ST_IMG_8289.jpg]

I'd be interested to hear some critical opinions of this shot and advice on how else it might have been approached. Or perhaps where an effect such as this is (and isn't) appropriate to use.
I'm really enjoying experimenting with this lens (as you can probably tell by the fact that just about everything I've posted recently has been taken with it). But I know that I can't just rely on the tricks it can provide to give me good shots. I need to learn how (and more importantly when) to use it well, rather than just using it as a gimmick.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions you might offer - especially those that challenge my own thinking. Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Smashing photo mate... the distorted DOF really gives it a lot of punch, as does the post processing treatment.

In terms of critique, I think there may be a lack of subject that is in focus, but other than that, it's great.

Kombi - This scene appears to have many challenging aspects to it. The most obvious challenge is the bright sun shining through the clouds. This is competing with the wheat in the foreground and the trees on the horizon as the main subject matter / focal points.
The trees on the horizon look great. Its all personal preference but I find myself trying to see more detail in the foreground. Maybe a slightly wider depth of field would allow this? (Bearing in mind I have never used a tilt/shift lens....)
I would love to see any other images you have from the same scene.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Excellent shot, a little more dof and it would be perfect.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Apr 7, 2013, 06:37
Last Post by kNox
Oct 12, 2012, 00:51
Last Post by Irma
Jun 7, 2011, 13:07