Poll: Which camera wuld you choose? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Canon EOS 70D
33.33%
33.33%
Nikon D7200
66.67%
66.67%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which camera?

I have been using DSLRs for approx 6 years starting at entry level then mid range and I now have top of the range but not full frame.
This last camera was a replacement for one that was stolen.
It is dogged with dirt on the sensor problems. I recently had to return it to the manufacturer for repair and clean but find it has still come back with a dirty sensor.
My previous DSLRs never had such a problem and it is driving me mad.
I am therefore contemplating selling the whole lot and starting again but the question is, what do I go for?

The choice seems to be Canon EOS 70D and Nikon D7200. I use 18-200 mm lens which is ideal for my needs and I have a 50mm lens.

Which one would you go for and why?

You state you currently have a top of the range camera, just curious why you'd step back to a D70 or 7200?

In answering your poll, I'd go with whichever brand I already had glass for.

(Aug 4, 2015, 15:03)EnglishBob Wrote:  You state you currently have a top of the range camera, just curious why you'd step back to a D70 or 7200?

In answering your poll, I'd go with whichever brand I already had glass for.
It's a top of the range amateur/semi pro camera, not full frame, equal to these two models. Just so disillusioned with the dirt on the sensor problem. Never had this on my previous 3 DSLRs.

(Aug 4, 2015, 12:54)Timetraveller Wrote:  I have been using DSLRs for approx 6 years starting at entry level then mid range and I now have top of the range but not full frame.
This last camera was a replacement for one that was stolen.
It is dogged with dirt on the sensor problems. I recently had to return it to the manufacturer for repair and clean but find it has still come back with a dirty sensor.
My previous DSLRs never had such a problem and it is driving me mad.
I am therefore contemplating selling the whole lot and starting again but the question is, what do I go for?

The choice seems to be Canon EOS 70D and Nikon D7200. I use 18-200 mm lens which is ideal for my needs and I have a 50mm lens.

Which one would you go for and why?
I'm with Bob in that it depends on the breed of glass you have, if you are happy with your existing lenses go for the camera that can utilise them. At this level all the Canon/Nikon bodies are excellent cameras that will not disappoint, some people have a preference one way and others will choose the other but there is no right or wrong. Ask yourself what type of photography will I be doing-landscape, wildlife, sports or video, answer this then go for the camera most suitable for your needs. Also consider buying 2nd hand there are many good cameras on the market just a couple of years old and lightly used where your £/$ will go much further than buying new.
Regards John

i dropped from a canon 5d mk ii to make the switch to the fuji system which is a mirrorless camera rather than a dslr. if you don't need to print billboard sized prints then there's not much need for the massive sensor. even though the fuji system is interchangeable lenses i've not had any issues with dirt/spots - and i had that with every canon i've ever owned, 300d, 40d and especially the 5d mk ii. and the small size and big drop in weight was a plus for me, i can fit all of my camera gear except the tripod in a carry on. having said that i agree with craig that it makes financial sense to stick with the mount you already own glass for.

I've had 5 Canon DSLR's over the last 12 years and I live in a dust bowl, everything gets covered in dust. And yet I have had no issues with sensor dust. I just take care to try and avoid changing lenses out in the dust and the wind. I usually try and do it in the car if possible, though I do change out in the field if I have to.

I just take care to keep teh camera facing down while open. Then I take the lens off, replacement back on immediately. I keep end caps on lenses and bodies when no lens is attached and I make sure the lens cap is free of dust before placing it on the camera/lens.

(Aug 5, 2015, 09:11)EnglishBob Wrote:  I've had 5 Canon DSLR's over the last 12 years and I live in a dust bowl, everything gets covered in dust. And yet I have had no issues with sensor dust. I just take care to try and avoid changing lenses out in the dust and the wind. I usually try and do it in the car if possible, though I do change out in the field if I have to.

I just take care to keep teh camera facing down while open. Then I take the lens off, replacement back on immediately. I keep end caps on lenses and bodies when no lens is attached and I make sure the lens cap is free of dust before placing it on the camera/lens.

Good advice Bob, I have had Canon cameras for six years and have only had to have the sensor cleaned on my 5D twice. Prevention is much better than cure.

Timetraveller, I do not understand your problem with dust on the sensor - was it there when you acquired the camera or has it collected during use? I cannot imagine that one make/model of camera is more susceptible to dust than any other. I have been following guidelines similar to Craig's good advice above for several years and do not have that problem. Just one thing I would add to his list - make sure the camera is switched off when changing lenses, as the electrical charge of a live sensor can attract dust.

Cheers.
Philip

(Aug 5, 2015, 12:30)MrB Wrote:  Timetraveller, I do not understand your problem with dust on the sensor - was it there when you acquired the camera or has it collected during use? I cannot imagine that one make/model of camera is more susceptible to dust than any other. I have been following guidelines similar to Craig's good advice above for several years and do not have that problem. Just one thing I would add to his list - make sure the camera is switched off when changing lenses, as the electrical charge of a live sensor can attract dust.

Cheers.
Philip

My camera is a Nikon D7100 which I bought as soon as it came out with the insurance money from the stolen D7000. I also bought a replacement 18-200 mm lens.
I bought the D7000 on eBay by mistake. I put a starting bid on at a ridiculously low price and won the auction. It was an amazing camera. It travelled extensively with me and took around 15000 photos until it got stolen.
The D7100 takes equally good photos but at an early stage I noticed the dirt problem. I took it back to the retailer twice and they said that all DSLRs suffer from this and that they clean their sensors all the time with a puffer brush. After reading about similar problems with the Nikon D610, I complained to Nikon and they asked me to send it back to them but all they appeared to do was clean the sensor and send it back to me.

It is now out of warranty.

In May, I fell over and grazed the case. The travel insurance agreed to pay for repair and so it went back to Nikon for a new case, to be checked over and recalibrated and cleaned. I then took it out for a test run but found the pictures rather lacking in vibrance. I sent some sample photos to Nikon Support but the suggested that I change the settings which I feel should not be needed on Auto. Then I discovered the dirt on the sensor again! I complained yet again and they have agreed it should go back again.

I wonder if maybe the dirt is coming in through the new lens? My old lens was used on 3 different Nikon cameras. I rarely take the lens off as it is good for my purpose. There is just the occasional use of my 50mm lens when I visit the grandchildren.

At this moment, I feel like selling the whole lot and starting again but I do like the sharpness of the photos and am worried that other makes might not have this sharpness.

I am interested in the Fuji kit mentioned above. Are the photos extremely sharp?

I would not use a puffer brush on a sensor. Dust stays in the bristles, and then gets onto the sensor and inside the sensor housing. Either use a static brush (arctic butterfly) or cleaning swabs on a sensor.

(Aug 5, 2015, 16:50)EnglishBob Wrote:  I would not use a puffer brush on a sensor. Dust stays in the bristles, and then gets onto the sensor and inside the sensor housing. Either use a static brush (arctic butterfly) or cleaning swabs on a sensor.

Actually, I think it was rocket puffer? A great big black rubber 'bomb' shaped thing with a 'tube' on the end. I'm too scared of damaging something.

Ah, then that is fine, use them on mine. It's the bristles that trap dust and spread it around.

Update - my camera has arrived back and Nikon advise that they have fitted a new sensor!
There is definitely no dust or dirt on the sensor now so we shall see what happens.
Now I can get out there and create some photos for the competitions and assignments!

Great news Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post