Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which is the best approach to get a photography website going?

Hi All

For quite some time now, I have been wondering how should I go about getting my own photography website.
PS: Do not want to spend a hell lot of money, but still want to get an attractive website launched.

Any tips, suggestions or knowledge on how some of you got their websites up and running?

Cheers
Samy

Creating an attractive website really isn't a problem nowadays, even with the low budget and no IT knowledge. You will need to purchase a hosting and a domain name somewhere, that can be as low as $20-$30 per year, depending on your needs. There are plenty of different templates for photography websites, I'd suggest you to go with some of the well known CMS, like the Joomla or Wordpress. You can find great free templates for both, or if you'd like some support and something more 'fancy' you can purchase a one. Prices go from $1 - $x00. Most of the CMS systems are very user friendly and simple to be used even by total beginners, and they work out of the box leaving you the option to expand your page in any direction later.

The problematic part is the one including great SEO that will keep you on top of Google search results and awesome public relations which include constant and interesting activity on Facebook, Twitter, forums..even tho it doesn't require much (or any) money, it is very time consuming and that's the part where most of small webpage owners fail.

If you have any specific questions I'll be more than glad to help Smile

I have to agree that it is relatively easy as well as inexpensive to get a site started. The time commitment is the biggest part of the site. It can be very rewarding though in the long run!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Agree guys but the single biggest problem is the SEO thing. Despite what Web designers might say about getting you up the ratings it is extremely difficult and you might end up languishing in position number 10,000! Don't want to sound pessimistic but it is terribly important to be aware of this. And, it does take a hell of a lot of work and knowledge to keep tweaking your site so that Search Engine Spiders (the things that determine your ranking) find you. I know of a photographer who had a great site (at great expense too) and he didn't get a single order in a year so it can be quite demoralizing. An active, and probably more importantly, successful (even moderately) Web site is no easy feat so be patient.

This brings another point - what is the primary goal of your website? Is it to make money or to provide info to others about photography? Or, to showcase your skills so that you can send people to the site to actually see your work.

(Apr 4, 2013, 18:56)paulG Wrote:  Despite what Web designers might say about getting you up the ratings it is extremely difficult and you might end up languishing in position number 10,000!

We say this counting on the website's owner to be involved in keeping his web alive and active Big Grin

(Apr 5, 2013, 06:48)Barbara G. Wrote:  This brings another point - what is the primary goal of your website? Is it to make money or to provide info to others about photography? Or, to showcase your skills so that you can send people to the site to actually see your work.

No matter of the primary goal, paulG is right. That's why I mentioned SEO as the most problematic part. If SEO is not done right, you can have the best photos on the planet, but the web page will be only for you and a few accidental visitors and owning that kind of a website is just like throwing money in the wind.

Great SEO, regular updates, online marketing and commitment are the parts that keep the websites alive.

I do understand SEO and have projects that I work on for several people as a freelancer. This is not to say that I am an expert, but I am learning all the time. As a photographer (hobbiest or professional) it is up to the individual if they decide to create one for whatever purpose they have.

I have several personal sites that I am working on for the purpose of adding to my technical experience. They are a tax right off for me in the process. I am not spending a huge amount of money, but I am gaining experience with different platforms, ect.

Everyone will have their own personal opinion on this matter...but we can still provide different ideas for those who are interested in the process....:0)

I would like to recommend 000webhost.com It's a completely free hosting service that has served me well for the last 4 years.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post