Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which lens can you recommend?

I currently have two lenses and I think it's time to expand my collection with a new one, but I'm torn between... well, a ton of models I see online. At the moment, my D3100 is equipped with a kit 18-55 lens and a 55-300 telephoto.

What should I get next? I'm thinking a 35mm one or.... gah, so many choices!

How about loaning one or two, for a week or a few days.
Before you purchase.

There are some online stores that do loans of lenses.

That way you can see what you are getting and wether the length suits you.

If it were me I would go for a fast prime. Range between 80 - 150mm

The standard kit lenses are quite slow.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

As I mentioned in the post to Don Schaffer, I recently bought a Nikkor 35mm prime lens for my D5000, around $200 from B&H. Fast glass, big aperture. Does very well in lousy light and low light. I expected good things and got great things! I'm a little confused in that it's DX lens for the crop sensor but it acts like a 56mm lens I guess, 35 times 1.6. Whatever, I'm very well pleased;.

I have the kit lens, and a 70-300mm for the D5000. The 35 (56?) pretty much completes my setup.

That's it then, the 35mm prime is the next one for me!

I agree with everyone here. You'll enjoy the lens and it will improve your photography by making you shoot a little differently! Fixed focal length lenses make you move around a little to frame your shots...

The 50mm 1.8 and the 35mm 1.8 are both great lenses. The first one a bit better suited for portraits because of the longer focal length while the later is a tad better as an all-around lens.

(Jan 21, 2013, 06:47)kNox Wrote:  I currently have two lenses and I think it's time to expand my collection with a new one, but I'm torn between... well, a ton of models I see online. At the moment, my D3100 is equipped with a kit 18-55 lens and a 55-300 telephoto.

What should I get next? I'm thinking a 35mm one or.... gah, so many choices!

What are you planning to shoot?

Welcome gordohr - It is nice to have you here in the forums!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55