Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wonderful water

Hello everyone hope you are all well, not been around for a while been travelling and concentrating on getting my migration visa which we now have!!

Not done any photography for ages so had a play the other day with some water in a tank trying out some different techniques. I like doing this sometimes, just starting out with no real aim just playing with things I find in the kitchen or around the house.

This one was created by dropping oil into water coloured with food colouring:

[Image: 86_water1.jpg]

These two were created by dropping food colouring into water, guess we have all seen it before but I still find it fascinating to watch and photograph:

[Image: ink1.jpg]

[Image: ink2.jpg]

This one was taken after dragging a ruler through the water and shot from the side:

[Image: 1_water2.jpg]

Thanks for looking and hopefully I will be a bit more visible again now.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Great shots - I especially like the last one.

Canon stuff.

Yeah, that last one really grabs me.
Something you don't usually see, and I like new ideas.

The first one I like.

The last one is beautiful - I love it!

I may have a go at something similar - you've inspired me.

Big Grin

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

Thanks for the comments everyone it's nice that we can share ideas. For the last image I used a small fish tank with a very strong backlight (actually used a slide viewing light box) to provide the bright background and another strong light underneath to light the surface of the water. I have quite a few more so may post some later. Would be interested to see what others do with this.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Hey these are totally great. Lovely experimentation with awesome results.. the last two are my favourites - strong colours and clean lines...

Excellent pictures, Ivan.
All are great!

I think #2 is missing a bit of contrast/brightness?

Thanks a lot for sharing and your explanation... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I remember playing with the potassium permanganate crystals and doing something similar around 50 years ago.(1957) Nothing is new is it?
When developing and printing we used Hypo to stop the action of the developer, and then washed the films/prints in running water for a long while to remove/dilute to nothing, the Hypo. The p. p. crystals changed colour if Hypo was still in the water. (A quick check)

A lot of the stuff I did then was thrown out when I left the nest.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Im also a big fan of the last image. Its amazing that some of the most simple (yet well composed) images are the most interesting.
I can see loads of potential in the first image too - the clean up of oil and water must be a challenge though...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Sep 7, 2015, 11:49
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jan 20, 2015, 11:36