Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Would you trust your photos on a 512GB SD?

Heard that Sandisk recently released a 512GB SD card.
Anyone thinking of getting one? Might be good for more storage but I'm afraid of it when it gets corrupted with all the photos in there.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/11/sandisk-...-capacity/

Primarily aimed at the 4K Video market. I have a mini SD Disc which holds 3,300 jpg's. Personally. still wise, would rather have 2 16Gb, than 1 32Gb, good insurance. Canon friend has had a lot of problems with Discs. Manages so far, to recover all that was "Lost". Having trained on 9 x 12cm Plates, still look on miniature cards with awe and amazement. Ed.

To each his own!

(Sep 15, 2014, 03:23)EdMak Wrote:  Personally. still wise, would rather have 2 16Gb, than 1 32Gb, good insurance.

Ditto here. I've had cards go dead before before I even get to transfer them. Thank God for DSLRs with 2 card slots.

I usually have a 16Gb in the camera with a couple of backups in my SD card wallet. I also keep a few cheap 2Gb cards I can loan out comfortably if another photographer has one fail and has no backup. The 2Gb cards are usually under $5 US so even if the card isn't returned it is not a big deal.

There should be no reasons to trust them any less than we trust 16, 32, 64 GB, etc. It is progress. A couple of decades ago I remember increasing my PC storage to a whopping 30 MB Hard Disk - I now have a TB. I still have a 16 MB Smartmedia Card for a Sanyo 0.75 MP compact camera so I can remember when a 128 MB SD-Card seemed excessive. Also I have a 1 GB xD-Card in an old Olympus Mju Tough compact camera (still charged and ready for use, kept in the car glove box for emergencies). With some presently available cameras, even when recording only still images, 1 GB would store only about 20 Raw+JPEG files, so bigger cards are essential - and they will keep on growing!

Cheers.
Philip
Smile 

Because it's SanDisk, I would trust it. It's the only brand of SD card which I have never had an issue with. I have had data corrupted or lost with most of the major brands on cards up to 32GB but I've used SanDisk up to 64GB Class 10 without a problem Smile

My Canon friend's problem, were with 3 Sandisk's, no help, at all, from anybody, 2 were less than a year old. Ed.

To each his own!

(Sep 15, 2014, 13:36)EdMak Wrote:  My Canon friend's problem, were with 3 Sandisk's, no help, at all, from anybody, 2 were less than a year old. Ed.

Personally, I haven't tried them but Sandisk is the forerunner in SD technology (don't buy cheap others).

If you're an ancient computer geek like me, you know that the new super fast SSD drives are actually a series of flash drives soldered onto a circuit board.

The super computer I built 8 months ago has 2-Muskin 240 GB SSD drives in Raid 0 comfiguration and they read/write at about 550 Mbs/sec.

That is my © drive. I have another two 750 GB drives for storage, one external.

Just like a desktop hard drive, you can run into file corruption if you fill any drive (including flash) to its capacity.

Once you hit 80% full, you should download the files and re-format the flash drive.

Works for me.

I think the 80% idea is great. I have always bought class 10 for my serious work, and nothing less than class 6 for other work,(transfer alot though) which usually ends up in other peoples hands. Sometimes I see them back, sometimes I don't. The prices defy logic though.

(Sep 15, 2014, 10:24)MrB Wrote:  There should be no reasons to trust them any less than we trust 16, 32, 64 GB, etc. It is progress. A couple of decades ago I remember increasing my PC storage to a whopping 30 MB Hard Disk - I now have a TB

Good point, Philip. Considering it now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post