Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yellow River

I like this image for the colours - it was such a beautiful scene when I took the picture, but I think it didn't quite come out in the resulting image. What do you think? Any suggestions on improvement?

[Image: DSC_4902.jpg]

[Image: DSC_4903.jpg]

Ta, Jules

Post removed - my attempt didn't significantly improve on the original IMO.

Maybe a boat chugging through the middle. Like a model 'African Queen'.
It is tranquil.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hi ST, I had a quick play with your first shot..........

made a curves adjustment on the water
an over all curves adjustment for brightness and contrast
a bit of dodge and burn
up the saturation a little
selective sharpen
slight crop

[Image: st%20copy.jpg]

may be too much contrast.......hmmmm

Your first shot is fine. The removal of the shade and dark area's in your 2nd version make it too hard to look at. As far as I'm concerned, you need the water a tad darker than the trees just like it is in #1 to have a little separation. This is the type of image you don't take a look at and say "nice". It needs to be viewed on a larger scale so that one can take their time looking at it and enjoy everything about it. It would make a beautiful wall hanging. Nice work Jules. I'm not messing with this one.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I like the second one best, kind of resembles Russt's fix, doesn't it? ....

uli

Quote:I like the second one best, kind of resembles Russt's fix, doesn't it? ....
I spose it does a bit Uli, I liked the water better in #2 but I prefer the trees and composition in #1...........what make #2 hard to look at for me is the bridge pylons in the centre (they are a bit blown) not the water..........just my opinion Smile

My only suggestion would be to go back on an overcast day, I think the colours would be brighter, and it would be easier to get a 'perfect' exposure. Perhaps this shot is something you can try HDR on?

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Here is my try...

[Image: DSC_4902calender1web.jpg]

On black and larger size here

Thanks to Flickr toys for the program to make this sort of calenders.
Program available to flickr members and no members... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

neat, irma! now the yellow river turned red though, didn't it? I think I would prefer that to be my October sheet Smile

I like Irma's colours. While it's an interesting scene and well composed the other shots just look too yellow for me.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Hey everyone, thanks for the input, and especially for Russt and Irma's renditions.

I think you've done well Irma, though the scene was really yellow - yellower even in real life, which was what made it so memorable.

Thanks again! Big Grin

Thanks Uli, Smarti for your comments... Smile

ST, you are right, it was yellow..... even the title says so... Rolleyes

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Apr 17, 2016, 23:05
Last Post by czkid
Aug 3, 2015, 18:59