Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

a couple of landies...

..at opposite ends of the same lens...

...in the beech woods near me( 16mm, f22):

[Image: 2pilediff_ST.jpg]

...and another of St Cyr's(35mm, f13[?])

[Image: 18canalST.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I like the first one. I see the idea of contrast the tidy lines in the background with the untidy ones in the foreground. I bet you have lovely detail in the foreground.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

a quick question, Shaun... why f/22? at that point, you're starting to lose image quality due to diffraction... might not be noticeably in a composition like this, but as a rule, i find it's better to use apertures in the f/8-f/16 range, which is the "sweet spot" for most dSLRs....

i like the second shot a lot... one minor niggle, for my personal taste i'd prefer a bit more contrast, and perhaps a darker sky - maybe a polarizer would help?

cheers,

Rocky

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Er, because I can, really..and for maximum depth of field, obviously. Big Grin As this was only Day 2 with the new kit I was playing with the extremes to ascertain in what situations I can rely on them. I don't find diffraction to be an issue at all, at least not in the setting I was taking this. Believe me, my proximity to the subject warranted f22; on my former setup, I'd have not trusted this compostion to it, to be honest. I don't plan on outputting this image at 19" on the long side, so no problemo. If I wanted optimum quality, I'd have stuck at f5.6-f11 from around 20-28mm on this lens or just f11 at 24mm on the Mk1 version.
Nope, any more contrast at this time of day and year, and I'd be losing some shadow detail; given the naturally saturated colours and contrasty conditions it didn't warrant a polariser IMO.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

ah, testing the limits of new gear... that makes sense.

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Image 2 made me feel homesick.....lovely shot and very typical England, sigh.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by zeke
Mar 19, 2016, 08:53
Last Post by Vanisle John
Jan 24, 2016, 18:19