Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

aerial combat

well, sort of... most of the time, young eagles engaging in this activity are practicing "mock combat", much the same way kittens wrestle and attack each other in play. it's more for practice than for real, but when they reach maturity, these "dogfights" get much more serious as they vie for territory or mates. the two birds will lock talons and wrestle, flapping and twisting in the air, usually losing altitude very quickly in the process. most of the time, one of the adversaries will break off and admit defeat, and the two will fly away none the worse for wear, but eagles have been known to perish because they wouldn't let go of their adversary and fell to their deaths...

these two juveniles were "practicing" over the bay at my favorite birding park. aren't the greatest shots - the sky wasn't cooperating, and the birds were probably 150 yards or more away, at the very limit of what my 400mm lens can manage, but i'd much rather have less-than-perfect pics of this aerial ballet than no pics at all!!

[Image: IMG_8391sm_filtered.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8390sm_filtered.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8389sm_filtered.jpg]

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

While they are as you say 'less than perfect', they are still good enough to show the eagles holding talons and screaming at one another.
I don't think your morning or day was wasted.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I wouldn't sweat the quality. This is a GREAT series.

I agree with Will. This is a classic grab series.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Sep 1, 2010, 23:14
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jan 5, 2010, 11:24