Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bass in the garden

I could have posted these in the Musical bit but then thought, nah!
I bought yet another guitar the other day: I got it secondhand as cheap as chips, £150 in our money, and a huge amount of guitar for the cash.
It's a Vintage Icon 4-string fretless jazz bass, apparently the spitting image of Jaco Pastorius' 1962 Fender Jazz, and it sounds ace.
I took it out into my garden to take a quick couple of snaps: all the dings and knocks are apparently part of its "retro" look!
I just popped on the 50mm f1.4 and shot wide aperure for effect and to counteract the dark and gloomy autumn day...

[Image: 1565fretless_split%20pots.jpg]

[Image: 1572fretless_potupgrade.jpg]

[Image: 1585fretless-linedBW1.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

hah!! Don't know much about guitars - but the third photo made my day.. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin.

The third photo caught me by surprise and made me laugh - but the first photo made me want a guitar.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Hey chums!
Thanks both..spot the visual puns on pots, lined fretless, pegs(yawn... Smile )

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

The third one is a classic.

Canon stuff.

Congrats on the new bass Zig.. and yeah, that third shot is fantastic! Great concept.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I thought you had washed it and hung it up to dry. Rolleyes Big Grin
Just out of interest, you say fretless. Are the frets painted on?

I have been meaning to take mine in the garden and take a few mementos before I attempt to sell it.
It is a 1973 Fender Precision sunburst, and assembled in the US of A. Tongue

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Yes, hence the implicit wordplay: lined.
Yes, fretless.
Known as a "lined fretless" then!
No, the frets would be normally an inlay of another wood...I think in this case very thin slivers of ash and ebony set in a fine line where the frets would be.
This example is a deliberate oddball of a bass, as it's supposed to replicate Jaco Pastorius' 1962 jazz bass. Perhaps an apocryphal tale, he apparently knocked the frets out of his fretted bass, then filled the holes with generic wood filler before someone rectified his modding.
The firm who made this model above(Vintage) has had much input from Trevor Wilkinson and the standard of build is very high, remarkably so given the price of the range. The distressed "relic" look is normally naff but it's quite successful here.
And for me, 2 big reliefs: no fret wear to worry about...nor any great need to protect it from dings!

Zig Wrote:Yes, hence the implicit wordplay: lined.
Ah yes, but that was in reply to Matthew and Toad. :/ Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Nice Jazz.
I much prefer #2, although the humor of 3 was fun.

Made me laugh the third one! So creative, I loved them all, guitar is a wonderful obje for photography, and you did well dear Zig,

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Ta nia.
Hey, nice to see you Keith Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Dec 13, 2017, 15:50
Last Post by GrahamS
Nov 1, 2017, 03:56
Last Post by EnglishBob
Aug 27, 2017, 10:08