Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

butterfly

hi all,

This is a couple of shots from a couple of weeks ago that I finally got around to processing.

I went out the back to find a newly hatched butterfly.......with the wings not quite dry. hmmmmm the perfect subject as it could not fly away Big Grin at least thats what I thought. Every time I pointed the camera at it it would turn away. must have thought it was going to get eaten by the lens....in the end I gave up with a new respect for those of you who capture the ones that can fly Big Grin

I was trying for a front on shot but ended up with these instead

pics 800 wide

[Image: bf1.jpg]

[Image: bf2%20copy.jpg]

C&C welcome as always

Both pictures are lovely... but I think the second one is my favorite because of the background... So colorful... and the butterflies you have there are beautiful!!!

Taking pictures of butterflies is indeed difficult... but... here is a secret I learned this summer and it works perfect... Cover your head with a colorful fabric if it has flowers much better... it has to have bright colors... so you cover your head and part of your camera and they won't be scared anymore... Smile I did it and it worked nicely unfortunately I knew about this too late in summer and I didn't have many butterflies... Of course you have to stay still for a while until they are used to the new bush... Big Grin

Also when I went to the butterfly garden we saw there were some sticks more or less one meter high with red carnations in the top... We saw the butterflies were crazy about those flowers... then we realized that the man covered the carnations with honey so the butterflies were actually after the honey...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I agree about #2 - the colors of the background really set the butterfly himself in center stage. Also the DOF is perfect on #2.

#2 for me too Wink do you use a macro lense?

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Another vote for number 2 - I have to admire your dedication to achieve that perfect butterfly shot Irma. I think I will try the honey first Smile

Canon stuff.

Yes #2 for the lens being more parallel to the butterfly and the background detail.

[Image: thumbsupfv4.gif]

Rene

To be heard, you must be seen.

The 2's have it... nice shot... God Bless.
In Christ,
Brad

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 1Peter 1:16

thanks everyone for your comments..........I thought #2 would be the pick. #1 is where I first found him/her.......I then put it in the bougainvillea, really think the flowers added.

Rene and Brad thanks again for you comments and welcome to ST

Pat, the lens used was the sigma 17-70 while it is not a true macro it does have close focus.......you can really get in there....... 1:2 magnification

Irma, I appreciate what you are saying there about the technique........but I have a bit of a grin at the thought of me dressed like that chasing butterflys around the yard. Big Grin the kids would love it......thanks

# 2 gets my vote too. I think you did a great job on these .

..... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I knew you would laugh a lot... Big Grin

This secret was given to me from a Mexican lady... she has a P&S camera and takes the most beautiful pictures of hummingbirds I asked her how she did it... whether she had a special technique to do it ... and she showed me a picture of hers dressed this way... her sons laughed a lot when they saw her first time like that... She continued taking her pictures and few weeks later she was taking pictures of their sons dressed like that... and it was so funny to see them with that big mustache and dressed up like a flowered bush... Big Grin

Chris other things I saw they had there for the butterflies were oranges and banana in slices...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma, I will have to remember that as well! Thanks for sharing.

Love the pictures, the butterfly is beautiful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by manspam
Jan 21, 2014, 20:38