Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

canon 35mm 1.4 lens have you got one?

I'm wondering if anyone has the canon 35 1.4l prime lens. I'm thinking of getting one.
My idea is to do more people shots , small groups, couples , full length portraits and maybe gig shots. I have been wondering if it's a bit wide?
I've seen some work on the web like the group on flicker that seem to like it.
I like the idea of using it wide open or almost fully wide, to have that selective focus with good boker.. and also with available light.
I'm no expert in this field so wondered who is?
I have zooms in 35 range and best at 2.8 The shots are ok at 2.8 and i don't know when opening wider, if the depth of field is a bit skimpy.
Maybe a very wide lens would be exciting.. anyone else know about depth of field with that lens. Are you excited with it ...or regret its purchase? hoo roo ... Jim Truscott

I played with one on a Full Frame camera, and it's seemed like a great lens. If I were you I'd try the 50mm 1.4 first, it may suit your needs just as well.

(Apr 13, 2013, 08:14)vlad Wrote:  I played with one on a Full Frame camera, and it's seemed like a great lens. If I were you I'd try the 50mm 1.4 first, it may suit your needs just as well.
Thanks for the input, I've had a look in lightroom and found i can filter a bulk lot of thousands of shots by the lenses used ie. the focal length zoom position where the shot was taken shot.
I was surprised to see how few there were around the 85mm range.
Apart from longer zoom shots the majority were in 28 to 35mm and 45 to 65mm range with slightly more in the lower range. Scrolling through the pictures in those ranges, it seems that i mostly have used the lower range for people shots.
I expected to see more around 85mm.
An 85 was on my wish list so can cross that off. So still thinking in 35mm terms.
I have heard good things of the 50 1.4 My prime lenses to date have not been wider than 2.8 so don't have experience in shooting 1.4 to 2 which is where i want to go.
I have doubts to about the expense of a jump to a f1.2 if it's worth it. It probably means jettisoning one other lens i'm carrying to be able humping a 1.2 The stuff resides on my back while hoofing it.
Not making any hurried decision. Would be nice to borrow or hire one, but can't see that happening. Lenses are often a terrible tug between head and heart.
Will be weighing this one up for a while me thinks... hoo roo all

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post