Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

capturing the story behind the house.

A few weeks ago I found a derelict house near where I live, I took pictures of the outside of the house but couldn't find any meaning of my picture. I went back a couple of days ago and I decided that I would go inside to see if I could get pictures with meaning.

I tried to capture how the house was once loved and cared for.

Opinions - have I succeeded capturing this?
Ideas on how to edit. Thanks
Beth.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beth I get the feeling that you should be showing much more area, widest angle lens to have, and shoot from one end of the room/s to the other, and go from there. As is, just don't come across to me. Ed.

Maybe B&W would give it more feeling and presence.
Have you tried ?

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

I just tried it, I think it works for the door.
Not sure about the other two though.
Thanks. Beth.

(Jan 6, 2014, 15:58)johnytrout Wrote:  Maybe B&W would give it more feeling and presence.
Have you tried ?

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Bethan,

Not knowing the history of the house it's a bit difficult to know if you've captured that history or not. What you have done is to produce some good and competent photographs of an 'as you put it' "once loved home". Decay invariably occurs because of a lack of maintenance and THAT you have captured in abundance.

For me the monochrome images work best in number one and number three. Number two is better in colour because it shows the rust on the piece of electrical apparatus left discarded on the floor, the rust being implicit in its decaying process. Although because of the angle of view it's impossible to discern what it once was.

Altogether you have produced a very competent series of pictures. However, to paraphrase that which EdMac, who is always worth listening to and has been known to point out, 'only exhibit the best, and leave the rest on the cutting room floor' .

Well done so far Bethan. Oh, and welcome to the forums. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Thanks very much I believe the electrical equipment was once a fire/heater of some sort but i agree that it is not the best picture.
Thank you for all of the positive comments, i take everything into consideration.
Thanks.
Beth.

(Jan 7, 2014, 06:54)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Bethan,

Not knowing the history of the house it's a bit difficult to know if you've captured that history or not. What you have done is to produce some good and competent photographs of an 'as you put it' "once loved home". Decay invariably occurs because of a lack of maintenance and THAT you have captured in abundance.

For me the monochrome images work best in number one and number three. Number two is better in colour because it shows the rust on the piece of electrical apparatus left discarded on the floor, the rust being implicit in its decaying process. Although because of the angle of view it's impossible to discern what it once was.

Altogether you have produced a very competent series of pictures. However, to paraphrase that which EdMac, who is always worth listening to and has been known to point out, 'only exhibit the best, and leave the rest on the cutting room floor' .

Well done so far Bethan. Oh, and welcome to the forums. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

(Jan 6, 2014, 16:44)bethanhearne81 Wrote:  I just tried it, I think it works for the door.
Thanks. Beth.

(Jan 6, 2014, 15:58)johnytrout Wrote:  Maybe B&W would give it more feeling and presence.
Have you tried ?

I really like the B&W of the first image. Harkens back to the depression era photography of the US government.

The third image needed more, and more even, lighting. The shadow in the lower right is a distraction.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I agree thanks.
Beth.

(Jan 7, 2014, 11:28)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Jan 6, 2014, 16:44)bethanhearne81 Wrote:  I just tried it, I think it works for the door.
Thanks. Beth.

Have you tried ?

I really like the B&W of the first image. Harkens back to the depression era photography of the US government.

The third image needed more, and more even, lighting. The shadow in the lower right is a distraction.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 21:16
Last Post by EdMak
Jan 4, 2014, 02:17
Last Post by Dean
Oct 10, 2013, 15:25