Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

critique and commennts please

One Tree overlooking St. Georges, Grenada

[Image: 13716613675_5bf7a9c6e1_z.jpg]

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Jim.

Perhaps more information about the scene and your objectives is needed. With the yellow cast on the lower clouds and the mistiness over the town, it reminds me of how places look when the smoke from a nearby bush/forest fire is drifting over the scene. If the aim is to make the scene look natural, then a fair bit of processing work (adjusting colour, brightness, contrast, and sharpness) is required to remove that effect. Might it have looked something like this? -

Cheers.
Philip

(Apr 8, 2014, 12:20)MrB Wrote:  Hello Jim.

Perhaps more information about the scene and your objectives is needed. With the yellow cast on the lower clouds and the mistiness over the town, it reminds me of how places look when the smoke from a nearby bush/forest fire is drifting over the scene. If the aim is to make the scene look natural, then a fair bit of processing work (adjusting colour, brightness, contrast, and sharpness) is required to remove that effect. Might it have looked something like this? -

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Philip thanks for the comments. Actually the photo was taken early morning not long after sun rise. The sun was behind the hill and just above the horizon, I believe that may be where the yellowish cast may be from as the light reflected on some of the mist and cloud. Got to love the Caribbean sun, some photos I took around the same time as this photo had the sky and cloud behind the ship filled with shades of pink and oranges.
The settings of the photo was
f/5.0
1/320 sec
ISO 100
focal length 23.849
My attempt was to gain a balance of the back lighting with that at the fore without losing clarity.
Your working of the photo does this quite well.
Thank you again for your comments and suggestions..

(Apr 8, 2014, 08:14)Jim F Wrote:  One Tree overlooking St. Georges, Grenada

[Image: 13716613675_5bf7a9c6e1_z.jpg]

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Well, the first thing I see is that it's over exposed. You've lost the roof detail in several of the houses. Exposing down at least a full stop would give you something to work with. Once it's blown out, there's nothing to recover. Shoot 'slightly' dark, and there's lots of information to work with, even down into the shadows

Could you post the original file, not a downsized/edited one? That would help us to see where WE think it could be improved.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I agree with Wall-E that the photo is a tad over exposed, but other than that I think its composition is really good.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions, they help greatly with my learning curve.
As far as the suggestion to upload the original, unfortunately I use Lightroom and although they may be a 'non-destructive' application, it is not idiot proof when it comes to deletion; and me being that idiot deleted the original file in a batch deletion.
Again thanks to all who contributed it definitely was appreciated.
Jim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37