Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hexagonal light spots

Could anyone please tell me why I sometimes get hexagonal shape light spots on my photos. This has happened when taking sunset pictures and portrait photos. I thought it might be dust, but it is not on every photo taken on the same day, time and place.

(Aug 5, 2013, 15:22)snaphappy Wrote:  Could anyone please tell me why I sometimes get hexagonal shape light spots on my photos. This has happened when taking sunset pictures and portrait photos. I thought it might be dust, but it is not on every photo taken on the same day, time and place.

Can you post an example?

Hi and welcome to shuttertalk snaphappy. Please post few images with the hexagonal light spots. There are lot members here maybe know your concerns. Enjoy your stay here.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Without seeing an example, my vote would go to a dirty lens Smile

Hello and welcome to the forums! There are members willing to help you out in determining what the possible cause is. It is easier to make a judgment call when seeing the actual photos. Thanks for sharing with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Aug 5, 2013, 15:46)Dean Wrote:  
(Aug 5, 2013, 15:22)snaphappy Wrote:  Could anyone please tell me why I sometimes get hexagonal shape light spots on my photos. This has happened when taking sunset pictures and portrait photos. I thought it might be dust, but it is not on every photo taken on the same day, time and place.

Can you post an example?

My best guess is that the hex spot, or spots, are reflections of the aperture blades inside the lens, caused by very bright light entering the lens and bouncing around from element to element.

I get that as a reflection through the lens groupings, especially at f16 you can try to change your position, but an external light is causing it. If you can figure out which one, move to avoid it, use a polarizer or a lens hood.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post