Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
high pass, usm etc
Jul 20, 2006, 05:01 (This post was last modified: Jul 20, 2006 05:02 by Gujustud.)
high pass, usm etc
Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts on the subject of sharpening are?

Do you use unsharp mask, high pass, etc or a combo?

If you use different methods at different times what are the factors that dictate what you are going to use?

The reason I ask is that I have been plalying around with different methods. I have been getting good results but still don't have any line of reason to what I use when...........

trial and error..... Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Jul 20, 2006, 10:04 (This post was last modified: Jul 20, 2006 10:06 by gd.)
high pass, usm etc
My general sharpening routine for images I'm going to print is:

1. Sharpen upon RAW conversion with Capture One's "soft" sharpening setting. This is a very light sharpening just to bring out some detail.
2. In PS, before other edits, I use USM with a high-radius and small amount as a contrast enhancer. I use amount 20, radius 50 as default (in my automated action.) This technique is discussed in detail HERE.
3. Final USM sharpening after all edits, using a high amount and very small radius. My default is amount 150, radius 0.3, threshold 2. I'll do this on another layer and then adjust opacity as needed (default = 80% opacity.) The small radius helps keep the sharpening at the edges only.

For images with quite a bit of noise, or for where I need a lot of sharpening but want to control the effect with a mask, I use the Focal Blade plugin (there's a positive review floating around this site somewhere.)

I've used the high pass method before, and it's handy too. However, I don't feel it gives me as much control over haloing as the other methods.
Jul 20, 2006, 15:09
high pass, usm etc
cheers Mitch, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and method. I will be trying the contrast enhancer as soon as I get some time. thanks for the link.

HERE IS a link to the article that got me started thinking more about sharpening. It goes into detail on different methods.......:o I will need to read it a few more times I think Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Have you ever high end retouched? alessya 7 694 Oct 22, 2012 02:33
Last Post: alessya
  High dynamic range imaging Scottbad 7 698 Oct 4, 2012 02:24
Last Post: Pavel
  Casio EX-FH100 High Speed Compact shuttertalk 2 1,550 Jan 11, 2010 09:04
Last Post: EnglishBob
  High Speed Digital Photography shuttertalk 5 2,059 Dec 20, 2005 14:55
Last Post: shuttertalk