Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

high pass, usm etc

Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts on the subject of sharpening are?

Do you use unsharp mask, high pass, etc or a combo?

If you use different methods at different times what are the factors that dictate what you are going to use?

The reason I ask is that I have been plalying around with different methods. I have been getting good results but still don't have any line of reason to what I use when...........

trial and error..... Big Grin

My general sharpening routine for images I'm going to print is:

1. Sharpen upon RAW conversion with Capture One's "soft" sharpening setting. This is a very light sharpening just to bring out some detail.
2. In PS, before other edits, I use USM with a high-radius and small amount as a contrast enhancer. I use amount 20, radius 50 as default (in my automated action.) This technique is discussed in detail HERE.
3. Final USM sharpening after all edits, using a high amount and very small radius. My default is amount 150, radius 0.3, threshold 2. I'll do this on another layer and then adjust opacity as needed (default = 80% opacity.) The small radius helps keep the sharpening at the edges only.

For images with quite a bit of noise, or for where I need a lot of sharpening but want to control the effect with a mask, I use the Focal Blade plugin (there's a positive review floating around this site somewhere.)

I've used the high pass method before, and it's handy too. However, I don't feel it gives me as much control over haloing as the other methods.

cheers Mitch, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and method. I will be trying the contrast enhancer as soon as I get some time. thanks for the link.

HERE IS a link to the article that got me started thinking more about sharpening. It goes into detail on different methods.......:o I will need to read it a few more times I think Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post