Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lanterns and magnolia

I went to the botanical garden today, which was most of all way to crowded with people.
tried to get a few nice shots anyway.

There were plenty of Magnolia trees, and I find Magnolia just as beautiful as notorious to shoot.
This one sort of works, I find, although I could imagine something much better.
Maybe I'll try black and white on this, what do you think?

[Image: magnolie1.jpg]

the other thing I liked were the red landerns lining the walkways and I played a bit with them.

[Image: hongdeng1.jpg]
lantern1

[Image: hongdeng2.jpg]
lantern2

hope you enjoy (a bit)

Uli Smile

Cut a single bloom off and work with it at home.
And then put it in water and enjoy it for a while. Smile
I have sometimes tried to get the light behind the bloom rather than lighting it directly, to get the veining in the petals showing through.
Sixteen days now to our trip. Getting a bit excited. Cool

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I like very much this kind of macros Uli, talking about the flower. I like NT idea, I think it is very nice if you want to have detail, but if you are a bit more into abstract and lots of bokeh... I tend to have just the edge of the petal closer to my camera sharp and the rest blurred. This way the eye has some reference where the focus actually is. I like your composition, btw.

About bw... I am not so sure, only if you worked a high key treatment?...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

My feeling about these is that you made the wrong crop. The lower petals on the magnolia bossoms should not have been cropped off. The shape of the frame suggests you just wasted them. I don't know. It just doesn't look right. I don't understand the lantern photos at all.

I don't know if you wanted such a concise crit. Butthis is my honest opinion.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

thanks for your comments, and Don, your critique is welcome!
I can go back and look at the original, but I am afraid there was not much at the bottom.

Uli

Thats the way it goes. Looking at it again, it doesn't look as off as I thought.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Jan 30, 2015, 11:33