Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lens question

i am a newbie. just got my canon DRXT 2 weeks ago. i have a question, i want to shoot candids and weddings, what's a good but cheap lens to use? i/m planning to get the Tamron AF 19-35mm 3.5-4.5 is this a good lens? so that you'll know, this is what i got in my bag

canon drxt w/ batt grip
canon 18 - 55 kit lens
canon 50mm 1.8
Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Zoom Macro Super II Lens

what's a good focal length for shooting weddings and street candids?

more power
cleng

Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Grip // Canon 17 - 40 L // Tamron 28 - 70 2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] // Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II // Canon Speedlite 580 EX// Sigma EF 500 DG Super EO-ETTL // Sandisk Ultra 512mb // Sandisk 512

Welcome to shutter talk.

Forget the Tamron, the kit lens is of a similar quality and already covers the ranges of that lens.

The 300 should be okay for candid street shots as well as weddings in a pinch. I can't think of a cheap alternative, but for around $700 you could pick up a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 that seems popular for portrait work.

Definitely second that - the Tamron already duplicates the range that you have with the kit lens. If you wanted something faster, maybe the Sigma 18-50, which slejhamer reviewed here is a better alternative...

Well the Sigma 70-200 2.8 is a great Wedding Lens (I use one myself). However, if you want to shoot weddings you will need a decent flash, some CF cards, back-up gear in case something breaks down.

Are you based in the US? The $700 price for the Sigma lens is US $.

The Sigma 18-50 is also a good bet.

Are you wanting to shoot weddings for money or just for fun?

Canon stuff.

right now im here at cali visiting my folks but i'm really based in the philippines. i was also thinking of the sigma 18 - 50 2.8 but my kit lens will just be a waste if i get those sigma. will my kit lens be a decent lens for my wide - mid zoom length? coz if it can make some decent pics then i think i can use those for now and just get a 430ex. do you think there's a big difference between the 420ex and the 430ex? the Sigma EF 500 DG Super Flash EO-ETTL is also in my list. what's your opinion?

Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Grip // Canon 17 - 40 L // Tamron 28 - 70 2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] // Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II // Canon Speedlite 580 EX// Sigma EF 500 DG Super EO-ETTL // Sandisk Ultra 512mb // Sandisk 512

The Sigma is a great flash - but if you want native ETTL II the 430 EX would be good. The 420EX has no manual control on board the flash - so I would definitely go for the 430EX if you stick with Canon.

You could always sell the kit lens if you liked the Sigma.

Canon stuff.

Greetings Clanger!! Big Grin

What I'm about to say will draw hoots of derision no doubt, BUT....
I use a Canon 28-105 USM for 99% of my (paid) work. Yes, that's right, the much maligned, spat upon and dismissed 28 105 3.5-4.5 USM.

It works for me, and has done studio and wedding work with no probs.
YMMV
HTH

BBC
ITV
MSN

Cave canem

wedding singer,
what is native ETTL?

rufus,
is there a big difference between the usm version and the non usm?

Well, I'm led to believe that the 3.5 USM version is the best of the bunch. Certainly it's the fastest focussing. I'm really happy with mine.
Here's an unretouched snap from a recent wedding:
[Image: snap.jpg]

Cave canem

I'm very partial to that 28-105 Rufus, I picked up the original version and its a nice sharp lens. Serves well on a second body.

As for kit lenses they serve their purpose, I hate to admit it but I use my 18-55 as I have no alternative. I've tried the Sigma 17-35 but I wasn't overly impressed, its slow and has quite a lot of distortion.

Clengster,

You can't go wrong with the Sigma 70-200 while it isn't quite there with the Canon it is a very capable lens, quick and sharp.

thanks for all your comments, at least now i have more options of what lense to get. keep it coming Smile

Roo and J, agree totally - if you can get your hands on a 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, grab on and don't let go!!

Hi Clengster,

ETTL is Canon's automatic flash exposure. You do not have to work out any calculations for the flash out put - the camera works it all out for you. Just be aware that there are certain ways to get the best out of ETTL and that it is not the answer to all your flash needs.

That being said I use it for my wedding work and am happy with it - but I shoot RAW and can fix some exposure issues with that.

That is why I asked if you were planning to photograph weddings for a profit or just for fun. By the way - my wife is from the Philippines (lovely place).

Canon stuff.

wedding singer,
really? so you've been there already? we have a lot of beautiful photography spots back there. hope you can o there and we can prolly meet up. btw, do those sigma flashers i was telling you doesnt have that ETTL feature?

thanks
cleng

shuttertalk,

i found the canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 at canoga cameras for $230 and i saw the Sigma AF 28-135mm f3.8-5.6 IF Macro for $160. which is a better lense? can't i just go with the sigma or the canon's cheaper version, the Canon EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6?

thanks
cleng

can anybody show me the cheapest place to get lenses or other camera stuffs here in the valley? my area code is (818) i prefer like a camera shop where you could just walk in and buy what you need

thanks
cleng

Cleng - the Sigma flash will fire with the camera - but will not work with ETTL.

Canon stuff.

wedding singer,
cool! so i think it's better to go with those speedlight series. do i really need those manual controls from the 430ex or i can go with the 420ex?

thanks
cleng

Wedding Shooter Wrote:By the way - my wife is from the Philippines (lovely place).

My Wife's mom is from the Philipines, great cuisine.

english bob,
that's true! food there back home is good!!!

I thought the Sigma flashes work with the camera?
When I put it on ETTL mode,
it seems to work...

btw, I'm using the Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER or something like that Cool with my 300D.

clengster_77 Wrote:shuttertalk,

i found the canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 at canoga cameras for $230 and i saw the Sigma AF 28-135mm f3.8-5.6 IF Macro for $160. which is a better lense? can't i just go with the sigma or the canon's cheaper version, the Canon EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6?

Definitely stay away from the Canon EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6...

Haven't had any experience with the Sigma, but here's some user reviews:
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/len...28crx.aspx

And for the Canon 3.5-4.5
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/len...28crx.aspx

Judging by the scores, they both rate pretty highly...

Hey Cleng,

Welcome to shuttertalk, and welcome to the DRXT/350D club Smile

I never really got a chance to play much with a 420EX, but I bought a 430EX the other week and love it.

On paper there are *loads* of functionality differences, the manual control being just one of them (and a very useful one). But other really handy things are being able to adjust the flash exposure compensation, 2nd curtain sync and high-speed sync without having to dig through the 350D's menus (it is one-button press on the flash). It also gives you handy information when you lock focus, such as an estimate of the distance the flash will be effective over (ie 18m).
And the E-TTL II functionality simply means it is smarter than the 420EX, can make use of ALL the information the camera and lens can provide to it, and should simply do a better job of metering the flash.
For the small difference in price between the two, I would DEFINATELY suggest getting the 430EX over the 420EX.

If you're a newbie as you say... I hope you're planning on getting a lot of practice in before looking for gigs as a wedding photographer. They aren't the sort of situations where you want to be learning on the job as there are no second chances. But certainly you can do plenty of learning at weddings if you aren't the official photographer, and they are great opportunities for lovely candids too.

Hope your enjoying your XT.. and you'll have to post some pics for us to look at Smile

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

thanks adrian! i know... i think the best thing to do is sneak on someone's wedding and start shooting!!! Big Grin Big Grin Tongue there's a church near our place so that will be a good place to practice Smile but seriously i have a friend who really shoots all occassions for his extra income so i think i'll just tag along with him everytime he has a shoot.

cleng

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55