Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

macro lens

I would like to buy a Canon 50mm or 60 f.8 lens. Should iot be USM or autofocus?[/font]

(Apr 6, 2013, 09:48)bluenose Wrote:  I would like to buy a Canon 50mm or 60 f.8 lens. Should iot be USM or autofocus?[/font]

Hello,

Welcome to the forums - it is a pleasure to meet you and have you as a member here in the photography forums!

Here is an article which may be useful for you when dealing with USMs:

http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/camer...lens.shtml

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Hi and welcome to shuttertalk! USM means ultra sonic motor. All USM lenses are autofocus. I would recommend a 50mm lens.

Thank you for your help. It will be 50mm f2.5

Why not the 50mm 1.8 or 50 mm 1.4?

(Apr 6, 2013, 09:48)bluenose Wrote:  I would like to buy a Canon 50mm or 60 f.8 lens. Should iot be USM or autofocus?[/font]

If it's a macro lens you're after have you considered a 90 or 100mm one? They're much easier to use.

Alan.

Thank you I have considered a 60mm /F2.8 What do you suggest? the longer the lens the more expensive!

(Apr 11, 2013, 13:06)bluenose Wrote:  Thank you I have considered a 60mm /F2.8 What do you suggest? the longer the lens the more expensive!

If it's really macro work you want to do the problem with a 50mm lens is you have to get in that much closer - awkward and difficult to light. I have a Tamron 90mm - which is also an excellent portrait lens. Expensive - yes - but you'll only ever buy one.

Alan.

I agree with some of the feedback here that a 50mm f/1.4 is something you should go for. I recently bought one for my Nikon body and I just can't let it go! Amazing quality, clarity while doing portraits.

But then, if you are looking specifically to do macros of flowers or trying to shoot photographs from a distance, you should go for something above 100mm. Might turn out to be expensive, but it's not like you gonna change it frequently !

Happy clicking
Samy

Alan - Hello & welcome to the forums! Nice to meet you and have you here on site with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thank you to all. Your suggestions have me thinking! Maybe a 90mm?

(Apr 12, 2013, 07:56)bluenose Wrote:  Thank you to all. Your suggestions have me thinking! Maybe a 90mm?
Easy to say - but try not to think too much about the price. If you get the right lens for you it'll be a friend for life.

Alan.

i've had the canon 100 and 180 macro and found them a bit long for some situations.
The depth of field diminishes as the lens lengthens. I found i had to use a bomb of 2 macro flashes to get enough depth of field on longer lenses I don't tripod the shots much as insects were often moving .
The 50 and 60mm length gives better depth of field. You mentioned an f8 lens ..I don't know of any but it would certainly do if you can see anything through the lens when stopped down to f22
The other thing to consider is how far you will be from the subject. I found the 180mm great but as i said the depth of field is short but you can capture things like butterflies without being too close. With a 50 /60 you are relatively close to some subjects so those focal lengths are used for nearer applications.
I used to focus using the camera spot, then recompose holding the focus, so relied heavily on auto focus. I know many nature people are into manual focusing but that wan't my bag.
From what i know of macro work, static subjects are relative easy. The problems and expense occurs once you go mobile.. So it will depend on your application and what camera you get your hands on. Macro work is so exciting. Sure you will have fun. hoo roo jim

Thank you for the advice Jim. Considering my camera, my experience, and my interest in close-ups I think the 60mm will be just fine for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55