Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ruffed grouse

almost drove right past this grouse on the shoulder of the road. she blended in so well with the leaf debris that i didn't see her till i was less than 25 yards away. i just caught a glimpse of a shape that "didn't belong", and at 50 mph, well, i went right by before i realized what it was. i turned around and drove back, and thankfully, she was still employing the grouse defense technique of remaining completely still. grouse will usually freeze if you get close, relying on their camouflage to stay hidden. anyway, i stopped on the other shoulder of the road and took this shot out the car window...

[Image: IMG_6757sm.jpg]

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

State bird of Pennsylvania. Neat shot.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Looking on the net these are really very difficult to spot. So well done for finding it and well done with the shot. Extrapolating the grouse from the roadside. Wink
I wrote something yesterday or Friday, and then Safari crashed. (It is not as quick as me Undecided )

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

thanks guys! NT, as i mentioned, it blended it almost perfectly, but i've trained my eyes to pick up on shapes that don't quite fit, and this little football-shaped bird just didn't quite look like the rest of the leaf clutter on the shoulder of the road. if it had been "sitting down", or whatever it is birds do when they're not standing up, i might well have missed it completely!

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Great detail!