Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

silk purse from sow's ear?

After lamely trying to move on from the caressing stage with my new guitar, I've been trying to photo it a few times. I thought I'd share with you some of the ways I got from raw to finished product.
First is the raw-to-jpeg: lighting= desk lamp and tungsten room lights; I threw my denims over the guitar stands for a bluesy theme(just); I used the Canon 10-20mm at 20mm, going for my sharpest aperture of f8; tripod needed, as exposure was around 2 seconds( I had a polariser on...not for any reason...just couldn't be bothered to take it off).
Now, as I don't have patience for set-up shots and prefer pacing around outdoors, I'm aware of how much I stacked against myself here.

[Image: 004raw.JPG]

That was painful, wasn't it? No sharpening, no treatment of anything at all.

OK, in the finished product I did the following:
1.converted to a tiff, desaturating slightly, increasing gamma a bit and exposure .2; I kept the conversion low contrast as to retain detail; I tried to keep things as 16-bit for as long as possible to retain detail;
2. ran smart sharpen a couple of times at 0.1x500; cropped roughly;
3. smart sharpened again, x100 or so;
4. resized for possible print output size; smart-sharpened again: note the progressive smart-sharpening throughout.
5. dodged (highlight) and burnt (shadow): I had much dodging to do to bring up colour, as I had a few hotspots...I didn't want to blow these out too early, hence the low-contrast start.
Forgot: I increased saturation of blue and cyan by around 20 to bring up me denims!
6. Used a big soft black brush to take out background, distractions and try to con people into thinking this is not Zig's scabby front-room.
7. Used blur tool to smooth out any background; I liked the interesting diffused effect, so worked at keeping it.
8. Used the diffuse glow filter after making sure I didn't need to do anything else major: in other words, I had to get to 8-bit in order to use it(I don't know if you can use it at 16-bit with latest version of PS?)
9. Burnt in a bit of detail around pickups and neck.
10. Did me frame for that poncy torn paper look; added text in 2 layers to get my sig/logo; merged or combined or whatever you call it..."made as one", anyway...
11. Saved a copy for web, resizing and resharpening beforehand(always check for sharpening after resizing, is my motto. One of them anyway.)

[Image: IMG_0004_mk2WEB.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

wow!

I'm impressed, what a great use of a RAW file. You are one of few (if any) people I know who use the dogde tool so skillfully and produce such great results.

Uli

Beautiful work Zig...

I really like your work with dodge and burn... I know you know that, but I have to say this every time I see how skillful you are with this technique and think about me going nowhere with these tools...

Just a question...

Quote:4. resized for possible print output size; smart-sharpened again: note the progressive smart-sharpening throughout.
Why and how do you resize for possible prints?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Fantastic transformation Zig. Your love of guitars and photography really shows here in this great composition.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

Great PP.
Now tell me. Two strats (apart from rosewood neck and maple? neck and colour difference,) they look identical (almost) Do they sound different to anyone except yourself.?

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Bless you gang.
NT: spot on with the neck woods, top of the class! The "natural" one is ash-bodied, the white one=alder: yes, very different indeed: the ash one is very bright, whilst the white one is warmer and rounded; and yes, the difference would be easily aurally discerned.
Irma: I mean, if I want a final print of 8x10 inches, then I work and sharpen accordingly at that size(at 300dpi) in Photoshop. Let's say I then want a few 6x4 inch prints later: I then make a copy, resizing the document to this size. It then needs resharpening...not much, and at a sub-pixel level only, but it's there nontheless.
Of course, I then need a websized copy too: so I do another duplicate about 600-680 pixels high...this also needs resharpening. Basically, I check sharpness at each resize/downsampling...it normally needs a tweak...

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Lovely work Zig - great to see your passion for photography combined with your love of guitars.

Canon stuff.

Great stuff Zig - the jeans are a good touch as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jan 13, 2012, 13:35
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jul 26, 2006, 22:54