Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

the other side

although these are not exactly great shots, I feel like I want to show them .
I was always apalled when we stepped literally just a few meters outside the main tourist centres of the towns we visited, a stone through from the new rich Chinese going crazy shopping,
to find the most dire poverty.

This mother was feeding her baby with bits she dug from other peoples garbage,

[Image: _MG_7548.jpg]

and there are lots and lots of old people, some of them might have had other jobs they retired from and now live on a small pension, who pick the trash for recycle material they can sell for a few cents.

[Image: _MG_7551.jpg]

Instantly you are reminded of the fact that China is a developing country, even if in places it looks like just like any touristic centre in the west. rationally fully aware of the growing gap between rich and poor at this stage of development, I always find it hard to cope emotionally with this sort of phenomenon.

Uli

That first shot is so tragic - very sad.

Canon stuff.

Not sure how to comment on this...it doesn't seem right to feed on garbage - but I know a lot of people in the world do just that - and not just in China.I know it happens here in Vancouver as well.

Great captures.

I know it happens just about everywhere... For some reason doesn't seem to me to happen much in Germany, but I might be somewhat blind on that eye.
The most apalling thing was the fact that 200 yards away flocks of tourists are wasting their money on useless souvenirs, paying rip-off prices for fancy dinner, walking the UNESCO funded restored Old Town.... I don't know, hard to grasp this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post