Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

the rest is geography

I know this will make no sense in a way but I imagined what it'd be like if I was showing you round my adopted area. Obviously, we all mentally "filter" and treat what we think we know about each other's locale: I often wonder if I misrepresent both how my life and my surroundings are, wondering(albeit briefly) if I've unpurposefully cozened you into believing I live in some kind of country idyll, and by extension that all life is wonderful.
Before I drift off the point then: despite forecasts, it remained a mild and sunny day yesterday, so I nipped out in the jolly old Rav 3 miles away to Selsley Hill, one of the many limestone hills that rise out of the River Severn plain. I took a quick snap, thinking to just point out to some of the features visible. I'm facing sort of west/northwest.

[Image: 2661_geography.jpg]

Key:

1. Selsley: these limestone hills are browsed by the local cattle in summer, and the place has many unique meadow flowers and orchids. Around now there are the blues of various scabious and harebells. The "footpaths" you see are made by generations of sheep! The hill is populated by kite-fliers on days like this...there are also several springs here which deliver natural water as it passes along the bedding planes all the way from Wales, so Castle Zig's drinking water is supplied from here by me making a foraging trip once a month.
2. Doverow Hill: the unmistakeable curved whaleback hill, capped by beech and oak woods, behind which is my house.
3. Standish Woods: lovely beechwoods and festooned with bluebells in the spring, a short walk from there to Haresfield Beacon.
4.You can just see the snaking might of the River Severn here as it passes Gloucester....close to the clearly-audible M5 motorway too.
5. On the far left in the Forest of Dean on the other side of the Severn= May Hill.
6. These are the Malvern Hills on the horizon, right up in Worcestershire.
7. And on a fine day like this was, these are the Black Mountains far off in Wales.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Wonderful dear Zig, the photograph and also the idea... I love this landscape, and reminded me I was there a few weeks ago (Wiltshire)...
Thank you, and also Thank you for the explanations, you did great, I loved it.

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

That pixillated line under 7 makes it look un-slick.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Excellent! I feel as if I know you better already.

I was able to bring up Selsley on Google Maps and follow right along with the story.

Zig Wrote:I know this will make no sense in a way but I imagined what it'd be like if I was showing you round my adopted area. Obviously, we all mentally "filter" and treat what we think we know about each other's locale: I often wonder if I misrepresent both how my life and my surroundings are, wondering(albeit briefly) if I've unpurposefully cozened you into believing I live in some kind of country idyll, and by extension that all life is wonderful.
Neat post, thanks for that.

And yes, I do get an idyll vibe from your surroundings, but I'd never assume that life is wonderful for the lead guitarist in a band called Trashville. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Ta all. It's a snap Don, and with throwaway outputting(you know the score).

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Toad Wrote:Excellent! I feel as if I know you better already.

I was able to bring up Selsley on Google Maps and follow right along with the story.
Pop in for tea if you are passing. Big Grin

I like it Zig. The clarity makes me jealous.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jun 30, 2017, 03:21