Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

tileman - critique and comments please

Hi, I have posted this elsewhere and received little or no response, I like it and am wondering what's wrong with it.
John

(May 3, 2014, 12:27)tileman Wrote:  Hi, I have posted this elsewhere and received little or no response, I like it and am wondering what's wrong with it.
John

First it's a great photo; the only thing wrong is that the sea horizon slopes gently down to the left. This is easily corrected with post processing, but this means you will lose a little of the image as some cropping will be necessary.
Other than that it's a beautiful image. The fence creates a good leading line. The tower is well placed. The distant hill/cliff on the left create a nice frame. The sky is great. It's good.

I also like. Often see posts with no replies, nothing sinister!, probably lack of time to look/reply. Ed.

To each his own!

Tileman, if you like it, then there is nothing wrong with it. However, as Ed's signature implies, there are likely to be many different opinions as to what the image should look like - and if you are interested in mine, read on.

The histogram shows that the image has gone well off the scale at both sides - there are jet black areas and blown white areas. This might be a symptom of the processing, as the contrast and saturation both seem to have been raised too high for my taste, giving the image an unnatural look. So if it were mine (in addition to correcting the tilted horizon) I would want to reduce the contrast and saturation, particularly the sky blue tones and the yellow tones. The latter are very strong, as though the photo had been taken at sunset, but the length of shadows and the appearance of the sky both indicate the middle of the day (and Exif date+time is 23 April at 11.13).

Cheers.
Philip

(May 3, 2014, 14:49)MrB Wrote:  Tileman, if you like it, then there is nothing wrong with it. However, as Ed's signature implies, there are likely to be many different opinions as to what the image should look like - and if you are interested in mine, read on.

The histogram shows that the image has gone well off the scale at both sides - there are jet black areas and blown white areas. This might be a symptom of the processing, as the contrast and saturation both seem to have been raised too high for my taste, giving the image an unnatural look. So if it were mine (in addition to correcting the tilted horizon) I would want to reduce the contrast and saturation, particularly the sky blue tones and the yellow tones. The latter are very strong, as though the photo had been taken at sunset, but the length of shadows and the appearance of the sky both indicate the middle of the day (and Exif date+time is 23 April at 11.13).

Cheers.
Philip

You make some very good points, which I have no argument with. You made me think that the image may have been HDR, which I had not previously considered. The colours are strong but I like that look. Maybe, just maybe, it was run through GIMP using their fake HDR plugin that I like. I really like that plugin. Thanks for your thought provoking comment.
Regards.
Chip

Hi All, Thanks for you replies and comments, all have been taken on board, I ran it through Nik colour effects pro2, filters applied are, Tonal contrast, Brilliance and Warmth, Detail extractor and Image Border, I get the feeling that what I see on NIK is slightly different from what I see when I save and it re-opens in PS, I also find that when I process a photo on my laptop and then transfer it to my desktop it looks different, so I have stopped doing PP on the laptop (probably due to angle of screen).
I have tried doing all of the processing in PS and then compared this with doing it in NIK and I can get just as good results but it takes longer.
I must admit that I have a tendency to enrich things too much, I don't like HDR treatments unless they are very well done.
I f I may, I will re-do this one and re-submit it for your critique, I may not be today though.
Thanks John.

(May 3, 2014, 23:36)tileman Wrote:  .... I have stopped doing PP on the laptop (probably due to angle of screen)....
Thanks John.

John, this can be a problem with a laptop, but it can be overcome by always viewing it at the same angle. A simple way of ensuring that is to use your graphics software to make a JPEG image which is a pure black filled rectangle, e.g. 1200x800 pixels, and view it at full size. You should then be able to see a reflection of your face in the screen, and tilt it until the reflection of your eyes is central. Save the JPEG to your desktop, so it is readily available to ensure the same angle adjustment, each time that you use the laptop and wherever you use it.

Cheers.
Philip

If you have Photoshop, use Adobe Gamma. Ed.

To each his own!

Hello,

I did not see your other post and I leave the critiques to members who are much more experienced than myself. The first thing I noticed was as mentioned by MrB is there being much in the yellow tones which is a little much for me.

Thank you for your patience if your post is not seen or accidently missed. I did split the original thread so that your critique photos and comments are in a thread of its own. This makes it easier to follow the conversation. Appreciate you reposting your question, too.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(May 3, 2014, 12:27)tileman Wrote:  Hi, I have posted this elsewhere and received little or no response, I like it and am wondering what's wrong with it.
John

The MOST important thing is that YOU like it!!!! For what it's worth, I also like it!!!!!
Lateron

(May 5, 2014, 06:29)Lateron Wrote:  
John

The MOST important thing is that YOU like it!!!! For what it's worth, I also like it!!!!!
Lateron

Thanks Lateron, I have tried to do it again with less saturation etc and it just doesn't do it for me so I will tone it down a smidge and leave it at that.

E.g. -

Philip

For me, Philip has done a great job here with an already pleasing photo - the softer tones appeal to me hugely and the overall effect puts me in mind of Tolkein or CS Lewis in Lord of the Rings or Narnia Chronicles. The hint of emptiness now emphasised in the photo, and the importance of the sky to the scene, and maybe the cross piercing the sky - also seem to speak of another world. Regards Jeff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37