Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

warmth

[Image: intersectia-fortuna-targumures.JPG]

A snowy day in your average post-communist town of Tirgu-Mures, Romania.

Awesome! Which camera did you shoot this photo on? And what specs did you use? Thanks for sharing with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Very nice. The palette looks like film.

The sky looks a bit bright for a snowy winter day, though. I typically keep my exposure compensation down by a third or two on overcast days, but if my suspicions are correct, you may be able to recover some tone in a re-scan.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Those little white puffs of snow caught my attention right away and engaged me in your photograph.The sign post, and the man standing there with a yellowish jacket made me want to know more about this image.

I like the way you framed the shot nicely, with two large buildings to the left and the right and with the road to the bottom. I wish sky would've been little more under exposed to avoid being paper-white. Some detail at the sky would have been amazingly helpful to bring forth the quiet, rather surreal mystic appearance in the photograph.

The photograph in my mind suggests something deep, something complex.And the many different elements in the frame work together to enhance that theme.For example I love the white car parked behind the two persons standing.It's stationary position along with the two motionless people against the blowing puffs of snow suggest the freezing environment out there.

I would've liked if the tall sign-light post to the right side wasn't there, however I know that's something you could not have avoided.

Your idea of using the rule of thirds to place the sign post and the people standing, and framing the two people and the white car with the road is admired.Overall I observe a soft nature in the photograph however I really like that, because that softness adds to the mode of the photograph.Smile

The lighting and color are just fine however I suggest you convert this shot to Black and White and assess on your own.I believe a proper black and white treatment would further enhance the mystic solitude of the image Smile

Thank you Barbara, Matthew and pinmollusc for the nice words.

And, most of all, thank you for the observations about the sky, the traffic light pole and the b/w conversion. They are all viable and worth giving a thought.
Matthew, you were right, the photo was shot on some cheapo (Agfa or Fuji) 35mm film, using a Pentax Mz-50 and an AF Pentax 50mm 1.4 lens. I was standing in my room browsing the web, when I saw it was snowing heavilly outside. I immediately grabed my camera, put some pants on and ran outside. This was shot pretty close to my home. I didn't deliberatly frame according to the rule of thirds, though practice must have made it so.
The film was scanned at the local average lab, no postprocessing whatsoever. The result is a mixture of being prepared and good luck. Or, maybe, being prepared for good luck.
I may be a bit rusty in english, please feel free to correct the mistakes I makeSmile