Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

winter pics

Constructive criticism please

(Jan 4, 2014, 12:41)techorse Wrote:  #1

Constructive criticism please

Awesome first picture. Love the way you have captured the crystalised snow. Second picture has a lovely sky.

Go on, give us a clue. When and where and don't forget some techie details too!!

I would like the first one more if there was more depth of field- it is a tad too shallow for my taste.

The second picture I would convert to monochrome and lose the red sky. OK, I am not a sunset fan and the muted tones you have in the rest of the picture speak more to me than the sky does.

The first image is very good - I like the clear sharp crystals drifting into depth of field blur. If it were mine I would definitely crop off the top dark part, and then down as far as is needed to leave a square format photo.

The second one looks to have too much visible noise for me.

Philip

I love the second one - but the tilting on the trees seems to make the whole thing tilted - would a slight rotation help?

And, though the first one is good, I agree that a crop would improve it Smile

(Jan 5, 2014, 06:26)John M Wrote:  I would like the first one more if there was more depth of field- it is a tad too shallow for my taste.

The second picture I would convert to monochrome and lose the red sky. OK, I am not a sunset fan and the muted tones you have in the rest of the picture speak more to me than the sky does.

I agree with John.
#1 has too shallow a depth of field. Im not saying it should be sharp all the way to infinity, just a little more behind the front before blurring out.

#2. The bright red draws the eye to it, instead of what I believe is the subject, the fence post. Changing it to monochrome, or at least de-saturating the reds would improve it substantially.

And if you could give the Exif data, t'would be helpful, since whatever software you're using is stripping it out.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by WesMal
Nov 21, 2016, 14:43
Last Post by Browser Mike
Feb 12, 2016, 06:44