DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Adobe = sloooow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Adobe make some great software but they have to be one of the slowest loading / starting on the face of the earth. Sometimes when I start photoshop, it will just sit there with a blank screen, apparently doing nothing for a minute or two, before engaging in a flurry of disk activity and starting up.

Surely they should be able to optimse the loading process? Haha, sorry, just having a whinge. Smile

But it's probably why I usually use other software for things such as resizing and cropping which I want done quickly. Photoshop is only reserved for the heavy image editing.
It takes maybe 15 seconds on my machine. Try to de-activate any plug-ins that you don't normally use and it should speed up.
i just got a new hard drive ..200gb .. i set the scratch disk to my 200gb drive which is used as the secondary drive and it loads much much faster ,,
It's certainly the slowest loading thig on my venerable machine. But then it opens and saves jpgs equally slowly.
how much ram do you have? I just added a stick of 512 in mine today. I only had 256. 768 of Ram (only saying I have 736? :/ } 1.67 gig athlon xp running windows xp. PS runs much better it loads up faster too. Just timed it 15 seconds maybe less Cool . Before, it took so long before. I was also running !tunes during start up. Memory is the cheapest way to speed up a machine.
Got mine $65.00 US shipped. Photoshop is at its default settings too.

Teddy
I know Adobe is slow. I have Photoshop 6. It takes perhaps 2 minutes to load. I never timed it. I use faster software to view photos. I tend to load Photoshop and let it stay loaded if I'm going to use it repeatedly in a session while surfing etc..

--Don
Ram isn't my issue, I'm running with 1gb of ram.
helps to have the scratch disc on a seperate drive from your OS
EnglishBob, I am not sure how computer savy you are, so if you know this already forgive me. With that type of ram things should not be that slow unless your processer is slow. their are a few things that I can think of 1) when was the last time you defraged your hard drive if it has been awhile try that. 2) how much space do you have on your hard disk. When you stat to run out of space your pc slows down. 3) how big is your paging file. Mine starts at 316MB and can grow to 1628MB. Hope this helps out.

Teddy
There's no doubting my machine is slow, it's 4 years old, but Photoshop is by far the slowest program on it.

Defrag weekly, 170GB of free space, 20 gb HDD that is only used for a scratch disk.