DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Creativity and Failure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I received a comment about one of my photos that really bothered me. The comment pointed out to me an important issue in photography I would like to bring to discussion.

I don't know how many of you have seen "The Beautiful Mind." It's a movie about a genius who happened also to be delusional because of what they called schizophrenia. The thing about this genius was that in the career growth years of post graduate school in economics he let all his classmates sail by him in achievment, missing out on important honors and employment opportunities because he refused to publish small increments built on someone elses's work. He wanted to do something really original. His professional career languished and he became the brunt of jokes just like the ugly duckling. Many judged him a failure. Eventually however he did make a contribution which was entirely his own (far too late of course to achive the conventional career success others enjoyed). Orginality means regular failure.

I have the deepest sympathy for the hero of "The Beautiful Mind." In a hobby where no one pays me, I want at least to do something different from what is churned out easily by many others often to great popular applause. I wish people would not judge me as a failure because my photographs don't always please them.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're not a failure!!!!
People see things differently, what 'does it' for some people may not 'do it' for others.
You're blessed with the ability to look at things differently, and capture it in the way you see it.
Do what you want; it's good to be different! and different is not bad, it's unique, good, and brings a different perspective.
LOL Don, you've been slumming at ph*tosig again, eh? Big Grin

Well I was just thinking about you while I was visiting another photo site. Someone had posted a shot taken in low light with the ISO 1600 setting on their camera, so as could be expected there was a bit of sensor noise - but for the most part the image was pretty good. No less than three "reviewers" criticised the poster for not having run the image through noise reduction software. Obviously these people have never seen high-speed film grain before, and have no appreciation for anything other than the obviously-digital, oversharpened, VHS-like images that have become too prevalent.

And I thought, what would the image look like if Don had shot it from his bus? Would the noise be part of "the message?" And what's wrong with that, anyway? Would he posterize the colors? Or desaturate them? Would anyone in that forum "get" his unique vision, if they couldn't even "get" something like what has already been posted?

I don't often comment on your pics because, as I see them, they are part of a broader "theme" or story that you present in bits and pieces. But I generally find them interesting, if not for the specific subject or the lighting, then for the presentation.

Cheers,
Thanks Slej

Unfortunately it was here.

I'll be fine. I retired today.

--Don
It was me, wasnt it?

I said I really didnt like something you did.

Listen Don, I really dont like Elvis Presley, Tony Blair, Michael Jackson, Opera, Ansell Adams, The Darkness, Neil Diamond, Cats, and many, many other things.

Thats me.

See what happens if you write against one of my pics, "I really dont like this."

I'll write WHY? "Curses!!! Rats!! How COULD you! " Thangs like that, but.....Ho hum.....What if I do??

Big Grin
Hey Don, keep up the good work.

I think the price of orginiality and "daring to be different" is that it pushes the boundaries of the norm, and not everyone will see eye to eye with you. Instead of going with the usual shots that you know people will go "ooh" and "aah", you stay true to yourself (hey do I sound like an American idol judge?) Big Grin

Art has to be appreciated. And learning to appreciate is just as much a skill as the art itself...
Me for instance -- when I walk into an art gallery, I have a hard time telling which one is the million dollar painting and which one was the doodle on someone's coaster.

And don't be disheartened just because one or two of your photos gets a negative comment... there have to be a few bumps along the road...
Don Schaeffer Wrote:I'll be fine. I retired today.

I hope you mean from your career (in which case 'Congrats') and not from Shuttertalk!!!!
I think Don is referring to this thread, http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1917
I sjould in no way have commented the way I did in the photo showcase forum but rather the critique forum. I thought I posted in a light hearted manner but if I came across too harsh, I'm sorry. Sad
Btw, if you mean that you retired from your career then congratulations. You deserve a break in life to do all the things you want now. Smile
Thank you Petographer. You are a gentleman. I didn't mean to get personal.

It wasn't Rufus' critique that bothered me. I withdrew that photo right away. It was a photo of smiles from magazines in Safeway. What I was trying to do was to show how they looked almost exactly alike by making the smiles glow from the pages. It wasn't very good and I will try again.

By the way, is it possible to build in the capacity to delete photos without leaving an ugly white space?

Thank you all for your fellowship and kindness. Yes, I quit my horrible job today.

--Don
I actually kinda liked 'Four Smiles'...
Don Schaeffer Wrote:Yes, I quit my horrible job today.

--Don

Woohoo! Big Grin

Congrats! Big Grin

Will you still be taking the bus around every day? Big Grin
Ahhhh, group hug! Tongue Big Grin
Don doesn't just press the button on the camera;
He's an artist!

oh... what happened to the christmas emoticons! Rolleyes
Come on Adam--calm down.

I will not be huddled in the dark on the bus any more and slugging through the snow at 30 below. I will take bus trips and walk more. I plan to get out a few times a week and just walk the streets with my camera (maybe get slugged by irate parents). My wife is ailing with severe arthritis. I quit a little early to help her.

--Don
adam Wrote:Don doesn't just press the button on the camera;
He's an artist!

Seriously, I was thinking that while I was on the bus today looking out the window...

*calms down*
My Dear Don,

I would like to show you, all this pictures I have taken thinking about your photography. Unfortunatelly I don't have others I took when we were driving to the sea.

Fighting with the reflection in the windshield

[Image: baltic2.jpg]

Blurred it didn't work Sad

[Image: baltic4.jpg]

Here I was too late the walker had gone Sad

[Image: baltic5.jpg]

This is the last one I think I'm getting better Smile

[Image: linau3.jpg]

The picture of the window "The red lock" was inspired by "The Brush Bouquet" from your gallery http://www.shuttertalk.com/gallery/displ...t=0&pos=10

I really don't know how to end my post now... so I will leave this to Robert Frost with the last words of his poem "The road not taken".

".....Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. "

Have a beautiful day! Smile

Irma.
Don Schaeffer Wrote:Come on Adam--calm down.

I will not be huddled in the dark on the bus any more and slugging through the snow at 30 below. I will take bus trips and walk more. I plan to get out a few times a week and just walk the streets with my camera (maybe get slugged by irate parents). My wife is ailing with severe arthritis. I quit a little early to help her.

--Don

Here's wishing you both a long, happy and healthy retirement together - hopefully not too restrictive for Joyce due to her arthritis.

As for your 'smilies' picture - I liked that, it amused me. I'm sorry I didn't respond and say so at the time, haven't been doing much forum posting anywhere recently actually.

Now that you have more time and freedom to walk and ride where you choose, and knowing your love of Street Photography, have you ever considered joining the street photographers mailing list?

Have a look at these links, see what you think. I'm not a member of that particular list myself, I subscribe to a more general mailing list, but I do look at the 'streets' Salon from time to time. The urls are

http://genec.com/federico/salon/

http://lists.topica.com/lists/streetphoto/

I think the list is originally owned by
http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/home.html

Polly
I'm sort of glad it wasnt me, however, I 'd still like to illustrate my point here:

[Image: church-stars2.jpg]

Now, let's see:

Top too dark, light bit too light. Overly red. Too compressed. Noise smoothing noticeable, stars are faked badly.

4/10 :o
.... and here's my retirement gift to Don, the man responsible for my ever growing addiction to street photography.

They spotted me as I was pressing the shutter. We all laughed and waved as I shuffled on my way and they carried on eating but I was quite embarrassed for a few seconds when I realised they'd spotted me, probably blushed too Big Grin

[Image: 18_oheck.jpg]

Pol
Congratulations for your retirement, Don! I used to have a job some time ago that really sucked, and I will always remember the feeling of overwhelming joy and freedom I had when I quit. Hope it's the same for you!

Don, I'd probably miss the Dirty Bus Window Filter, will you use it still? Smile
Polly that picture is really great! Smile
Say Pol, fancy a fight? :o
Rufus Wrote:Say Pol, fancy a fight? :o

Where?

My broadband IP probably blows my cover these days but I s'pose I could resurrect 'Johnny Sokko' on a PAYG dialup if I get desperate.

You're a very bad influence - mutt Big Grin

Pols
Irma Wrote:Polly that picture is really great! Smile

Thanks Irma.

I wished the ground would open and swallow me up when I realised they'd spotted me taking the shot - but they were ok about it. They creased up laughing, thank goodness, and I cleared off through an archway grateful I hadn't been 'granny-bashed'. :o

Polly
Polly Wrote:
Rufus Wrote:Say Pol, fancy a fight? :o

Where?

My broadband IP probably blows my cover these days but I s'pose I could resurrect 'Johnny Sokko' on a PAYG dialup if I get desperate.

You're a very bad influence - mutt Big Grin

Pols

Bike sheds, half past three. OK?
Pages: 1 2