DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: high pass, usm etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts on the subject of sharpening are?

Do you use unsharp mask, high pass, etc or a combo?

If you use different methods at different times what are the factors that dictate what you are going to use?

The reason I ask is that I have been plalying around with different methods. I have been getting good results but still don't have any line of reason to what I use when...........

trial and error..... Big Grin
My general sharpening routine for images I'm going to print is:

1. Sharpen upon RAW conversion with Capture One's "soft" sharpening setting. This is a very light sharpening just to bring out some detail.
2. In PS, before other edits, I use USM with a high-radius and small amount as a contrast enhancer. I use amount 20, radius 50 as default (in my automated action.) This technique is discussed in detail HERE.
3. Final USM sharpening after all edits, using a high amount and very small radius. My default is amount 150, radius 0.3, threshold 2. I'll do this on another layer and then adjust opacity as needed (default = 80% opacity.) The small radius helps keep the sharpening at the edges only.

For images with quite a bit of noise, or for where I need a lot of sharpening but want to control the effect with a mask, I use the Focal Blade plugin (there's a positive review floating around this site somewhere.)

I've used the high pass method before, and it's handy too. However, I don't feel it gives me as much control over haloing as the other methods.
cheers Mitch, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and method. I will be trying the contrast enhancer as soon as I get some time. thanks for the link.

HERE IS a link to the article that got me started thinking more about sharpening. It goes into detail on different methods.......:o I will need to read it a few more times I think Big Grin