DSLR Photography Forum
I need your advices! - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: I need your advices! (/thread-11588.html)

Pages: 1 2

I need your advices! - nia - Jun 8, 2011

Next month, probably I will fly to UK! It hasn't been clear yet, but we are planning this travel! I hope and wish everything to go well...Anyway, I don't want to talk about details and travel issues, but I need your advices, it is the first time I will fly with my camera! But I remember my Italy flight, they didn't let me to take pictures in the plane. It was a small digital easy camera! But I know, my camera is much more professional. Do you think that it could be a problem to have it in the plane with me? And another point, I want to take my tripod with me too, has a nice bag, I think to take it with me too in plane.... What do you think? Am I doing wrong? or what should I do? I know I can search on the web site of the airline company, but first of all I wanted to hear your experiences and your advices.

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - Irma - Jun 8, 2011

You have to have your camera with you. You can't store it in your suitcase.

I have traveled to Mexico a lot with my cameras and I haven't had any mayor problem. I have only taken pictures from the plane previous permission of the flight attendant. Only in a flight from Paris to Hamburg, German airline.... I was saying... "Do you mind if I...." and she interrupted me with that angelical voice "Put that camera away"... :|

At the time I cross the customs I put my camera bag in the band at last so I have time to go quickly before they open it and I tell them... "May I? Smile" and I open my bag and I show all they want to see but I am the one that touches my camera.

The time I took my tripod with me I wrapped it very well and store it in my big suitcase.

I need your advices! - nia - Jun 8, 2011

Irma Wrote:You have to have your camera with you. You can't store it in your suitcase.

I have traveled to Mexico a lot with my cameras and I haven't had any mayor problem. I have only taken pictures from the plane previous permission of the flight attendant. Only in a flight from Paris to Hamburg, German airline.... I was saying... "Do you mind if I...." and she interrupted me with that angelical voice "Put that camera away"... :|

At the time I cross the customs I put my camera bag in the band at last so I have time to go quickly before they open it and I tell them... "May I? Smile" and I open my bag and I show all they want to see but I am the one that touches my camera.

The time I took my tripod with me I wrapped it very well and store it in my big suitcase.
Thank you dear Irma, I hope and wish, nothing would be problem during my flights Smile

with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - EnglishBob - Jun 8, 2011

Tripod has to be in checked luggage, they wouldn't even let me take a small monopod on the plane.

My Camera Bag is always on the plane with me, I wouldn't check a camera unless i had a hardcase and a hefty insurance policy.

I need your advices! - shuttertalk - Jun 8, 2011

Definitely no problems bringing my camera bag in addition to a small knapsack on the plane. I've pulled it out to take snaps out the window and some silly self portrait pics but nothing too much or over the top.

I think these days the airline staff might get nervous because they think you're filming them and could use it to get them into trouble... but as long as you are not making trouble for them and just be courteous to other passengers you should be ok. If they ask you put your camera away, then just smile and comply with their wishes.

I need your advices! - NT73 - Jun 8, 2011

I have never had a problem with the camera on a plane, either taking photos or carrying it. Maybe I am lucky that way.
The only thing I ever had bother with was a little LED light to see where your keyhole is in the car, and the customs took it off me because they said it looked like a bullet. I suggested specsavers but I could not take it. Twerps. Big Grin

I suppose it depends on the airline.

I need your advices! - nia - Jun 9, 2011

Thank you for you all, I am excited for my travel... I will listen to your advices, I hope and wish nothing to be problem.

Have a nice and enjoyable day,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - nia - Jun 9, 2011

I bought our tickets to London!!!!! While I was asking a seat at window, and saying that I want to take pictures! The woman looked at my face as she was shocked! I asked her that not being allowed... She said that she didn't know... But yes, we started nice Smile We will see what will be...

I hope and wish this travel will be fine, this is so exciting. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - Zig - Jun 9, 2011

Good for you. There are some beautiful places once you get outside London Cool
Europe is not the US despite restictions and fear levels becoming more unreasonable: a tripod in your suitcase is fine. I generally have my camera and lenses in both hand luggage and in my pockets...I wear a photographer's waistcoat on trips, as it carries many things(!) and also gives people a sense of comfort. That is, if I'm behaving eccentrically, it's because I'm English, a photographer and not a terrorist.

I need your advices! - matthew - Jun 9, 2011

I've flown a few times in the past few of years, both long-haul (Canada-USA-Australia and back) and shorter hops (Detroit-Reno, Toronto-New York and back). In every case I've carried camera gear in a small shoulder bag, and for the North American flights I've had a tripod packed in my checked luggage. It's never been a problem, except for when I couldn't find the receipt for the tripod that I bought while I was on vacation. Rolleyes

I've also taken photos out the window on each flight - using small and quiet cameras, because that's what I like to carry, but not being sneaky in any way.

I need your advices! - nia - Jun 10, 2011

Zig Wrote:Good for you. There are some beautiful places once you get outside London Cool
Europe is not the US despite restictions and fear levels becoming more unreasonable: a tripod in your suitcase is fine. I generally have my camera and lenses in both hand luggage and in my pockets...I wear a photographer's waistcoat on trips, as it carries many things(!) and also gives people a sense of comfort. That is, if I'm behaving eccentrically, it's because I'm English, a photographer and not a terrorist.
It seems will be so exciting and enjoyable for me. We fly to London but we don't stay there, we are going to Wiltshire! But we want to make daily tours to London and to Bournemouth too. Bournemouth where I lived many years ago...

Thank you for your nice sharing with me, do you know what did you remind me now, Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flWP28y2cyw

He is my favurite song and musician!

with my love,
nia

matthew Wrote:I've flown a few times in the past few of years, both long-haul (Canada-USA-Australia and back) and shorter hops (Detroit-Reno, Toronto-New York and back). In every case I've carried camera gear in a small shoulder bag, and for the North American flights I've had a tripod packed in my checked luggage. It's never been a problem, except for when I couldn't find the receipt for the tripod that I bought while I was on vacation. Rolleyes

I've also taken photos out the window on each flight - using small and quiet cameras, because that's what I like to carry, but not being sneaky in any way.
Dear Matthew, I hope and wish everything not to be a problem for me too, I really wish to take pictures from the window!

Thank you for sharing with me,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - Zig - Jun 10, 2011

Wiltshire! That is the next county from me and only 16 miles away(I attend a church in Wiltshire). Excellent! Wonderful countryside...! Big Grin

Zig Wrote:Wiltshire! That is the next county from me and only 16 miles away(I attend a church in Wiltshire). Excellent! Wonderful countryside...! Big Grin
Yes, I searched now on Google map! This travel seems would be good for me, I need to be in countryside... And also I always say, I miss (my) England... After many years then, I'll be travelling to Uk again. You are living in such a beautiful landscape area in there, dear Zig! Green fields, forests, they are so beautiful. Like a painting... I hope and wish I can take nice pictures. I also want to see Crop circles too Smile

Anyway, when our visa will be ready, I want to make a new blog for my UK travel and I can share there too all my travel days... I hope.

Thank you once again dear Zig,
Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - Zig - Jun 10, 2011

Good for you!
Crop circles: if you stay up late enough at night, you can see the locals making them; quite a mathematical skill as they draw them out on squared paper first. Farmers are obviously not quite as happy! Smile

I need your advices! - nia - Jun 11, 2011

Zig Wrote:Good for you!
Crop circles: if you stay up late enough at night, you can see the locals making them; quite a mathematical skill as they draw them out on squared paper first. Farmers are obviously not quite as happy! Smile
Yes, I heard these things... But seems interesting, and exciting to see them.

Thank you dear Zig,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - nia - Jul 8, 2011

Hi! Last two weeks it was very stressful and nervous waiting for me because of our visas... Yes, at the end our flights have been wasted because our visas haven't sent us on time... And still we are waiting for them. In here, the UK consulate has not enough officers and also there are so many visa applications, so, everything is being problem. You can't go where you planned, on time and also your flights, hotels are being wasted. But they say make "your applications three months ago..."

So, we started again for flights and for hotel! In these days are the most popular time for visiting UK, not easy to make book for flight and for hotel. But anyway, after stressful days, at the end we did everything. But this time our destination will be first of all to Bournemouth that is my memories, once upon a time I lived there Smile and then we will go to Wiltshire and we will stay there till the end of our travel.

So, I am excited, I am so busy, and there are times for to go but still our visas not sent yet. If they don't come again on time, my husband will be so angry... Smile He wants to give our passport to them back as a gift...!

I hope and wish everything to be fine and a nice travel.
Thank you,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - NT73 - Jul 8, 2011

nia Wrote:Hi! Last two weeks it was very stressful and nervous waiting for me because of our visas... Yes, at the end our flights have been wasted because our visas haven't sent us on time... And still we are waiting for them. In here, the UK consulate has not enough officers and also there are so many visa applications, so, everything is being problem. You can't go where you planned, on time and also your flights, hotels are being wasted. But they say make "your applications three months ago..."

So, we started again for flights and for hotel! In these days are the most popular time for visiting UK, not easy to make book for flight and for hotel. But anyway, after stressful days, at the end we did everything. But this time our destination will be first of all to Bournemouth that is my memories, once upon a time I lived there Smile and then we will go to Wiltshire and we will stay there till the end of our travel.

So, I am excited, I am so busy, and there are times for to go but still our visas not sent yet. If they don't come again on time, my husband will be so angry... Smile He wants to give our passport to them back as a gift...!

I hope and wish everything to be fine and a nice travel.
Thank you,
with my love,
nia
That is terrible Nia , not being able to get your visas through. Best of luck with it though and enjoy Bournemouth and Wiltshire. Also expect things to have changed from when you were here last.

NT73 Wrote:That is terrible Nia , not being able to get your visas through. Best of luck with it though and enjoy Bournemouth and Wiltshire. Also expect things to have changed from when you were here last.
Thank you dear NT, yes it was really terrible but not only for me/us, most people are in the same position and some of journalists made this an article on their newspapers... As it is explained by British Consulate, they brought some mew officers this July... But still not going fast... Otherwise the WorldBridge Service works so faslty, I can't believer all our visa application issues finished in almost one hour. Comparing with Italy visa issues, ahhhh! many times I had to go to their office. But to be honest, at the end they said to me, "you can come Monday to take your visa"... and it was almost in three days they gave. BUT the fault of an officer who was doing my visa application. And although she had all my papers, (school fees, flights, and the house rented documents etc.) She gave me Malta visa instead of Italy!!!! Then it took three days again.

In the WorldBridge, we didn't spend so many times but in here, they can't say when will be given our visas (but minimum it takes 15 working days) and you can't reach anywhere to ask for your application... Can you believe this tonight we would have been flying to UK!!! and still our passports haven't reached us!!!! Who knows when it will be...

Actually we try to make this travel for taking a rest, especially for my husband... But it started with full of stress...

Anyway thank you dear NT, from 1975 till today so many things changed... so many things. But I hope I don't get a big shock when I go to Bournemouth. I am so excited dear NT, you know how much I love UK... My memories, my beautiful memories are there... Smile

Have a nice and enjoyable day,
with my love,
nia

I need your advices! - Toad - Jul 8, 2011

Its a terrible drag when plans go awry. I hope things work out visa-wise in time to save your holiday.

I need your advices! - Irma - Jul 8, 2011

I am sorry to hear this nia. I hope all your papers are ready on time.

I need your advices! - Pavel - Jul 8, 2011

Nia, Let me add some of the same experiences. I travel by air fairly often. I always have a camera bag often with a lens bag and a laptop bag or I pack all in a camera backpack. I have no liquids (such as lens cleaner) in my bag and my tripod is in my checked-in luggage. I take off the ballhead and wrap that in a t-shirt. I never encountered slightest problems. Taking photos from windows- I never attempted that. The windows tend to be dirty and really translucent rather than transparent. If I bothered to take photos, I would not ask permission and take photos (quickly and than put the camera away). I would not photograph key man-made structures (cities, damns, ports) and only obviously innocent subjects (clouds, lakes, mountains and not important man-made things - small houses, villages, fields. If caught, I would say sorry - I did not know - show my photos to demonstrate their innocent nature and promised not to do it again. I never saw any instructions that you are not allowed to take photos from the plane.

Toad Wrote:Its a terrible drag when plans go awry. I hope things work out visa-wise in time to save your holiday.
Yes, dear Toad, but if were a member of EU all these problems wouldn't be happened. Actually there is an old law (but I don't know, I read on media) between EU countries in the past signed and we don't need to take visa... There are a few case that they won, I mean to travel without visa... The last case was about a passenger at the Netherland airport, they didn't give permission to enter the country but the man went to court in 24 hours and he won according to this old law. But not easy to do this and also so many people don't know this law and how it works etc. On the other hand, in visa application forms, there are so many questions, so many!!! Full of paper you are going to fill. All these things actually make us sad... As if we are being questioning. They ask to us all our economical details, and then all of us nationality, I mean father, mother and grandmother, grandfather, etc. I prove myself who I am... They also need fingerprint and biometrics images etc. We all did them in our Police Office. But they shouldn't have trusted all these documents otherwise why did they take fingerprints, biometrics images again.... But we are not like that for foreigners, passengers... Can you believe that there are villages at the Mediterranean region that their residents are almost foreigners... This is sad actually between us and EU. I know why they don't want us to be part of EU, but on the othe hand we have been already part of EU. Anyway, I don't want to talk more about all these political matters. Even I hate... Just I wished to be able to travel easily wherever I want... like birds...

Thank you dear Robert, I hope nothing to be problem more for this travel. By the way at the end I finished my Italy days blog, you can find down the post. If you wish you can visit. But all these photographs were not taken with this camera, I mean with my new camera, Canon EOS 500D. There was a little easy camera. But some of them are really good, I didn't expect too.
have a nice weekend,
with my love,
nia

Irma Wrote:I am sorry to hear this nia. I hope all your papers are ready on time.
All our papers are ok, just needs to be given visa on our passports. So we are waiting for our passports... Tonight we would have been flying to UK!!!! but still our passports haven't reached yet. How long will it take I don't have any idea... I hope we don't lose our second tickets too. I am afraid my husband would give up!!!

Thank you dear Irma,
Have a nice weekend,
with my love,
nia

Pavel Wrote:Nia, Let me add some of the same experiences. I travel by air fairly often. I always have a camera bag often with a lens bag and a laptop bag or I pack all in a camera backpack. I have no liquids (such as lens cleaner) in my bag and my tripod is in my checked-in luggage. I take off the ballhead and wrap that in a t-shirt. I never encountered slightest problems. Taking photos from windows- I never attempted that. The windows tend to be dirty and really translucent rather than transparent. If I bothered to take photos, I would not ask permission and take photos (quickly and than put the camera away). I would not photograph key man-made structures (cities, damns, ports) and only obviously innocent subjects (clouds, lakes, mountains and not important man-made things - small houses, villages, fields. If caught, I would say sorry - I did not know - show my photos to demonstrate their innocent nature and promised not to do it again. I never saw any instructions that you are not allowed to take photos from the plane.
Actually you made a good point. Yes, not clean the windows... But again I want to take from the window. I flew so many times but none of them I had camera except my last flight to Italy... The steward warned me and I closed my camera and I put in my bag. He almost watched me till to put it in my bag, even it was a little easy camera. This will be the first time with my new camera. I don't know what will be.... But of course I will listen to them if they say something.

Thank you dear Pavel,
Have a nice weekend,
with my love,
nia