DSLR Photography Forum
Texture of the Sound - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Photo Critique (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Texture of the Sound (/thread-11770.html)

Texture of the Sound - Don Schaeffer - Aug 22, 2011

[Image: watertexture2BWSM.jpg]

[Image: watertextureSM.jpg]

Took these with the Nikon Coolpix 5600. Tried to emphasize texture with a high contrast monochrome presentation.

RE: Texture of the Sound - vlad - Oct 3, 2012

(Aug 22, 2011, 08:35)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  [Image: watertexture2BWSM.jpg]

[Image: watertextureSM.jpg]

Took these with the Nikon Coolpix 5600. Tried to emphasize texture with a high contrast monochrome presentation.

A not so interesting photo will seldom make a good one after post processing, and I feel that this is the case. I like the title though, and I apreciate the initiative.

RE: Texture of the Sound - Barbara G. - Oct 3, 2012

Don,

I like the photos - I think they give the viewer two different feelings depending on which one you are viewing. The second one to me shows more texture, but after looking at it a few minutes it becomes "very busy."

I am not a professional at critiquing but wanted to say that I enjoyed them, especially the first one. Thank you for sharing with us!

RE: Texture of the Sound - Barbara G. - Oct 3, 2012

I also wanted to add the visual impact of the first photo is stronger for me. I really like how the photo is divided at an angle. To me, this adds to the actual sense of the photo.

I also like how the photo was cropped (for me personally) as well as how you see a larger wave in the lower left hand corner - to me this also gives some depth to the view.

RE: Texture of the Sound - Don Schaeffer - Oct 3, 2012

Thnks vlad and Barbara

RE: Texture of the Sound - Korry - Oct 4, 2012

Great title and the idea Smile

(Aug 22, 2011, 08:35)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  [Image: watertexture2BWSM.jpg]

I'd love to see how sounds would look like in color and cropped to water and buoys only.

RE: Texture of the Sound - pinmollusc - Oct 4, 2012

Out of your two photos I prefer #1 image.The very first sight of the image made me a bit uncomfortable, because I read the title and your attempt to introduce texture later on. My initial thoughts were about the seemingly high noise. I admire your creativity behind introducing the texture to convey the robust sound of the waves, however after the post processing the image has turned to become a photo illustration rather than an actual photograph.Its somewhere between a photograph and a painting to me, however you are free to do whatever you want with your own photos!

As for the photograph I liked your placing of the horizon , however placing it overlapping the line across the top 1/3 of the image would've been nice.It would've helped you placing the raft according to the rule of the thirds, so that it can attract the viewer immediately. I'd have even cropped the coast seeming to the bottom of the picture.That way viewer can sense the situation of a small raft in the deep dark ocean.

Since this is a manipulated photo, I'd have cloned the seeming dark patch of canopy, entirely to cover the skyline.That way your subject would gain further prominence in the frame. I'd have tried with several other black and white conversion techniques as well, because this look doesn't appeal to my taste really well.

RE: Texture of the Sound - Don Schaeffer - Oct 8, 2012

Thanks Pinmollusc. It's just sharpening. I assure you the texture in the water is really there. I tried to bring it out.

RE: Texture of the Sound - kNox - Oct 12, 2012

I like the first one! The second one is okay too, but when put side by side the first one really stands out, I love the way it was composed. Also, as some of the others have said, the title is great!

RE: Texture of the Sound - Don Schaeffer - Oct 12, 2012

Thanks Knox