DSLR Photography Forum
[split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? (/thread-12068.html)

[split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - Jowithadash - Feb 22, 2012

Was deciding between Canon 7d and Nikon d7000. I think the dual card slot has won me over.
Thoughts?

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - shuttertalk - Feb 22, 2012

Hi Jo, hope you don't mind but I split your post into a new topic to make it more visible to solicit feedback from other users. Welcome to Shuttertalk by the way!

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - Jowithadash - Feb 22, 2012

No probs and thanks!

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - matthew - Feb 22, 2012

They're both excellent cameras; I suspect that the difference in price and handling (both of which are personal considerations) will be more significant than any differences in the finished photos. Deciding between them is a good problem to have, because it's really hard to go wrong.

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - shuttertalk - Feb 22, 2012

Just like to echo what Matthew said - both are very able performers and roughly equivalent as well in terms of where they sit in their respective product hierarchies. So much so it could have the potential to turn into a Nikon vs Canon debate. Big Grin

On paper, the D7000 supposedly has slightly better IQ, lower noise at high ISOs, better dynamic range but in practice the difference will probably be very marginal. One thing I think the D7000 is able to do better is focus while taking video - with the 7D, once you start the movie capture you have to resort to manual focus.

Regarding Canon vs Nikon - Canon are generally more affordable vs the Nikon equivalents.

[split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - matthew - Feb 23, 2012

Jo, I suppose the other important question is whether there are any particular lenses that might suit you better from one system or another. I've actually bought three different camera systems specifically for one or two lenses that can only be had for that mount, and in each case it has worked out rather well.

(Feb 22, 2012, 23:01)shuttertalk Wrote:  ... it could have the potential to turn into a Nikon vs Canon debate. Big Grin

I don't think we've ever actually had one of those here. Interesting.

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - lcburns - Feb 23, 2012

Nikon if you do lots of low light stuffs. Nikon is better with low noise at higher ISO.

Canon if you plan on enlarging photos. They usually have more MP and that delicious L glass.

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - shuttertalk - Feb 23, 2012

Yes, perhaps we do need a Nikon vs Canon thread! Big Grin

Welcome ICburns, thanks for your input. Big Grin

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - Toad - Feb 23, 2012

(Feb 22, 2012, 23:01)shuttertalk Wrote:  ...So much so it could have the potential to turn into a Nikon vs Canon debate. Big Grin

Not really a debate unless you don't own any equipment. If you do, just go with the line that you own lenses for...

RE: [split] Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000? - shuttertalk - Feb 24, 2012

(Feb 23, 2012, 18:43)Toad Wrote:  Not really a debate unless you don't own any equipment. If you do, just go with the line that you own lenses for...

Oh you, stop being so level headed... how else are we going to get some fun heated arguments? Big Grin Big Grin