DSLR Photography Forum
ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Photo Showcase (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach (/thread-9922.html)

ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach - Don Schaeffer - Sep 6, 2010

These were handheld images at ISO 800 (f6.3 fixed). Most of you will hate them. I apologize in advance. But I like them (one or two more thna others).

[Image: umbrellagirlSM.jpg]

[Image: beachreedsSM.jpg]

[Image: fatherdaughteSM.jpg]

[Image: boyonbeachSM.jpg]

[Image: gullinshallowSM.jpg]

ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach - Toad - Sep 6, 2010

I am kind of fascinated by those Pro Optic mirror lenses - they have a funny optic quality all of their own which gives them character. #1 is certainly an interesting shot subject-wise. #2 has a nice 2D comp that I like and I also like the perspective compression in #5.

That's generous, Toad. Thanks.

ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach - Zig - Sep 6, 2010

Oh, far from it, Don: that 500mm compression has character....and I absolutely love the rendering of the first shot here. I'd guess that over-sharpening images might not help the "donut disease" of mirror teles and might detract from the subject if you're not careful...but I really do find that glowing tone in Number One really emotive. Go for it Don; I'm looking forward to seeing more..in fact I'm just off to have a research on this lens myself.

[Zig does so...]

...Hmm...to be honest, getting this focal length for so little cash and weighing so little...AND only having to adjust ISO because of the fixed aperture, strikes me as a jolly good and creative idea. Obviously a special occasion/effect lens, the examples I've seen of it on a Canon 1Ds III look very fetching. I reckon that using this lens to its optimum would involve almost just looking for that special time where it would shine. Female candids and portraits seem to look very ethereal. Heck, I'm almost tempted to get one in time for Italy, truly...
A question: is Pro-Optic just an Adorama product? I can't seem to find them advertised here in the UK...they're not "badged" Samyang are they?
Sorry to pile in with questions...I'm rather taken with its possibilities.

It's amazingly light and fun to use. You just have to find the settings that work with a few practice shots.

ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach - NT73 - Sep 6, 2010

The effect in no 1 is like a lensbaby. :/

its the narrow dof.

ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach - nia - Sep 7, 2010

These are all so interesting for me, made me excited this lens Smile I am learning from you! No.1 what I liked but No.2 hits me too Smile

Well done dear Don,
Thank you,
with my love,
nia

ProOptic 500 mm Mirror Lens on the Beach - Don Schaeffer - Sep 8, 2010

thanks Nia