Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Crows

Most of you know that I am fascinated by crows, and take photos of these amazing creatures whenever I can. Here are a couple of new ones...

The Conversation

If you think that birds don't think and communicate - take a hard look at this photo, and tell me that the other birds in this scene aren't hanging on the words of the main orator...

[Image: The%20Coversation%20small.jpg]

An example of taking noise in a very dark photo and converting it to wonderous grain...

[Image: Flutter.jpg]

Thanks for looking

Fascinating. Not being flippant but there is clearly a visible "pecking order" in the body language here..it has all the freeze-frame quality of a renaissance painting in which all subjects are related to the main one. (Am I allowed to suggest a small anticlockwise rotation of #1 so as to straighten the lines?)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Me too, dear Robert, and you captured such a beautiful one, I loved it, they are amazing...

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

They look better in silhouette than otherwise, being such ugly birds close up.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

nia Wrote:Me too, dear Robert, and you captured such a beautiful one, I loved it, they are amazing...

Thank you,
with my love,
nia
Glad to see you back nia. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks for the comments people.

Zig - I tried staightening - but the birds look *wrong* then. They have a natural center of gravity that doesn't withstand much tilting in an image.

Zig Wrote:..it has all the freeze-frame quality of a renaissance painting in which all subjects are related to the main one.
I thought the same thing, but couldn't phrase it so eloquently.

Ah of course..yes, I see the birds are vertical. My mistake, it would have perhaps been a job for the horizontal perspective thingy in PS' lens correction.

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:Ah of course..yes, I see the birds are vertical. My mistake, it would have perhaps been a job for the horizontal perspective thingy in PS' lens correction.
Indeed. I may try that yet - so many things to do - so little time....

[edit] one possible fast track solution for this would be to *shave* the cross bar at the bottom of the photo. If that cross bar looked flat, the rest wouldn't be an issue, I am thinking...

Tricky one that, as that bottom bar acts as a sort of "plinth" and gives balance to the whole tableau.....what a fascinating pic, the more I look at it...

Funny that you should use the word "plinth". Someone at my local photo group used the same word. Realistically, I can build up the plinth to be flat and move the crows sitting on it slightly to compensate - no problem since it is all black....but I suppose that will offend the purists...

Thanks for all your feedback. I also love this shot. I could write 1000 words around it...(isn't that the going rate for a picture?).

Hi Toad,

This is a very beautiful picture and so much your style. Crows, silhouettes.. story telling here.... great picture indeed.

Things that take my eye, of course, it is the pose of the birds and the direction of their heads to a common center but also the meaning of the cable at the left. I think this is a great detail talking about communication, relation. It means a lot to me in the picture.

About correcting lines here I thought about suggesting just to pull down a bit the left bottom corner with the distortion tool to have the same height (right-left) then again I see that then you would lose the pin where the cable is connected... I see this little thing as an important element in your picture.

I am sure you will do your magic in PS and work the propper adjustment as you see fit... Wink

Thanks a lot for sharing your picture... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thank you for your kind words, Irma. I know that I can rebuild the plinth - just a matter of getting around to it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Jun 13, 2011, 12:58
Last Post by nia
Jun 9, 2011, 00:20
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jul 3, 2010, 11:10