Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My First Art Exhibition ...

West Vancouver (a suburb of Vancouver) sponsors a series of exhibitions each year that highlight the work of local up-and-coming artists. I have recently learned that my portfolio has been chosen by the selection committee – and that my work will be featured as half of a 2 photographer show: June 1 – June 30.

I need to select 15-17 of my best works, mount and frame them for the gallery display. Historically, many of the works at the exhibitions have sold during the month.

So – here are the things I am not sure about: anybody that has insights – please help me out.

- Do people typically number photographs like art prints? i.e. #7 of 45

- Does anybody have any perspective on sizing? My gut feeling is to make small prints – 11x14 or smaller (not counting mattes/frames) – but I don’t really know. I suspect smaller photos will sell better than larger ones. I just haven’t seen many “large” photos displayed in people’s homes, but I have seen smaller ones.

- Anybody want to help me in my final selection of photos to exhibit? I have a group of photos selected – but I have to cut the number roughly in half. A lot of them have been featured here – so if anybody has a favorite – please let me know – I lose perspective on my own work.

I am sure that I will have a hundred more questions in the next few months. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations, Toad! Big Grin

I'd like to help, but I'm entirely clueless in the art business. Only thing I can do is tell you what pictures I like most. It would be easier, though, if you uploaded them to a user gallery where they are easy to review...

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Great!
Congratulations, Toad!

Of course! If you think I can be of any help.... yes sure... at least I can say what I feel when I see something or what makes me think about...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Congrats Toad!

guerito Wrote:It would be easier, though, if you uploaded them to a user gallery where they are easy to review...
I agree, create a album here at ST where we can rate your photos & leave comments, etc. One suggestion, if I may, is to stick to 2 or 3 series/themes. I've always thought a nice coherent grouping is nicer to look at than a random group of photos - further, you may sell a pair or set!!

A reminder before you start framing is that http://www.pictureframes.com/ is a great place to test-drive frames and mattes even if you don't order from them... you could even post the framed images from pictureframes.com for us to critique! Wink

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Congrats Toad! What an awesome experience it must be!

I agree with Cailean -- pop up your candidates in the gallery and we'll choose the best ones for you Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:I agree with Cailean -- pop up your candidates in the gallery and we'll choose the best ones for you

I don't think that really works for me. I feel like I am taking a big risk with this thing, and my confidence level is quite fragile. [edit] To clarify - I do not want to subject all the photos that I consider my best to an extended technical critique session - I may do some minor editing, but the photos are what they are at this point. I need to be focussing on selection and presentation.[end edit]

I wouldn't mind working with a couple of people offline on it though - if anyone would like to help, please send me a private message.

Thanks!

Cailean Wrote:One suggestion, if I may, is to stick to 2 or 3 series/themes. I've always thought a nice coherent grouping is nicer to look at than a random group of photos - further, you may sell a pair or set!!

Good advice - thank much.

Well I don't know anything about such exhibits, but congratulations!

Oh, you have a PM. Smile

Right on Toadster. Woohoo! Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I believe small sizes are better. Houses are getting smaller, no room for big pictures/frames. People tend to move now more than before, transportation is easier if they are smaller also easier to place in another home. Big walls now a days are decorated with a "collage" of small pictures with irregular pictures sizes and frames... I consider, big pictures suit best Hotels or big conference room in the companies...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Enthusiastic congratulations from me! And no envy because I am retired. lol
--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post