Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon Enable Manual Exposure in Video on EOS 5D Mark II

Finally!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Canon are giving 5D Mk2 users the ability to shoot video without being locked in full-auto mode! They are releasing a firmware update that gives the user control over ISO, shutter speed, and aperture in video mode (not sure if anything else is included in the update).
Why they couldn't provide this functionality from day one is beyond me, but I have been looking forward to this announcement since I bought my 5D2 (in fact I took a bit of a gamble that it would eventually be provided).

Full details can be found on the DP Review website:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/090527...p?from=rss

I think it's very interesting that this announcement comes just a day after an announcement on the Rob Gailbraith website that someone has managed to hack the 5D Mk2 firmware to provide improved user controls (to disable auto-gain and display an audio level meter in this case, but they were also working on manual video controls). Canon usually don't announce firmware updates until they are actually ready for download.
I guess Canon really don't want lots of people downloading hacked firmware and potentially bricking their cameras... kind of understandable I guess when an "official" firmware fix is just around the corner.
Still, I feel sorry for the guy who has obviously spent so much time and effort in developing the hack, only to have Canon steal all his thunder just 24 hours later.
The Rob Gailbraith story is here:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content...0039-10090

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Very exciting development and I agree with your thoughts on why they announced it.

Canon stuff.

Mister Peter is still waiting for the ability to shoot 720p HD;
Because he liekz teh aspect ratioz lawl

It's always nice when companies improve the capabilities of products that they've already sold. But I wonder where the update is that will let little powershots shoot raw? Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Strangely enough, my old Canon Powershot S40 from the year 2000 shoots RAW...

The new 5D2 firmware is available for download now. Big Grin

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/...mware.html

I just installed it on my camera and am very happy with the result. To get full manual controls, simply have the camera's main control dial in "M" mode while you are in movie mode. Then the regular ISO, aperture, and shutter speed controls all work to give you full manual control over these things. It works perfectly.

In addition to this, when in manual video mode the ISO can be set to "Auto" and the camera will then attempt to auto-expose the video by only manipulating ISO (leaving shutter speed and aperture as you've set them). An almost-very handy feature. It would be fantastic with the only problem being exposure compensation can't be set in manual mode, so when using auto-iso you have no control over the exposure level. Still, if you're happy with the standard auto-exposure with EC set to zero then this will give great results.

And at least it *does* auto-iso in Manual mode when shooting video, which is better than it does in Manual stills mode (where auto-iso simply fixes itself at 400). I hope they can implement this same feature for Manual stills mode too! It would be a fantastic feature for sports and action photography.

I think Canon really have been listening to 5D2 owners here. They still have a lot further they can go with this amazing camera, but it's encouraging that this is a "proper" fix, not just a quick-n-nasty afterthought. Let's hope there's more to come.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Downloading now Smile

Canon stuff.

yeah its quite nice to have the manual settings now. I'd still like to get 720p as adam said.. i find 1080p to be excessive on the greater part for most applications where im shooting at that size just to get the aspect ^^

WHATZ! PETER IS BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkkkakkak

Hi Peter,

Great to see you around again.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post