Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

It's monochrome landscape time....

It's a fair while....

We are very blessed in the UK: it's a mere drive of 100 miles or so, and one can be in radically different terrain. Different geology, different climate...roaming from cityscapes through lowland pasture, through deciduous woodland before ascending to subalpine pine and heath.
It all looks blissfully bucolic of course, but the fact remains that pretty much all of what we consider "natural" and unspoilt has been purposefully scaped, if not shaped, by man. These wide fells(that the Wesh insist on calling mountains) are sheep-scavved peaty hills, with many "lakes" formed in the last century because English people dammed the countryside for their water to be piped from there.
Nevertheless, one man's poison is another man's meat, as they say....and it looks purdy...which is the main thing...

The weather and time of day here was actually the same as on the pic of my Subaru Forester D XC but I visualised a stark monochrome final version of this shot. I shot this crouched down with the 21mm, narrowing the aperture as far as I could for depth of field at ISO 100. This ended up as f12.9(stepless aperture priority with the IDs2), just coming in under the wire at 1/30s.
At the conversion stage, it was a matter of boosting the saturation(I was working still in colour, as I knew in advance which colours I wanted to lighten and darken by filtration later in mono), a quick smart-sharpen.
Then(a Shauny-trick here), I dropped a black grad over the sky in Overlay mode, fading its opacity to suit; I then did another grad in the same way, this time moving from the foreground up, fading to suit again.
I then messed about with contrast, dodged and burnt where necessary, reduced to websize, and there we are.

[Image: 3019bwWeb_sig.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Messages In This Thread
It's monochrome landscape time.... - by Zig - Jan 14, 2012, 16:08
It's monochrome landscape time.... - by Toad - Jan 14, 2012, 19:45

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Apr 24, 2016, 15:32