Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions.

Took delivery on Tuesday 11 Oct 05, so I've owned it for 24 hours.

This is my first taste of a graphics tablet. According to the Wacom site, I should choose an A4 size for my requirements. However, A4 is too big and too expensive, so I went with an A5.
Now; a brief "in use" report.

Setup was extremely easy, USB connection, no messin.' Plug it in, load the software, and it just works. Didnt even reboot.
The driver provides many set-up options including separate tablet-to-screen mapping for mouse and pen.
On the subject of the mouse, it;s a 5 button, highly configurable beastie which works ONLY on the tablet surface. This isnt a problem, and resolution is very high.
The pen is so configurable that I cant pretend to have explored more than a fraction of the possible ways to utilise it.
The tablet itself is great! It has 4 user configurable buttons on each side, (quite independant of each other), and one "touch strip" one each side, also independantly set-up-able.
In CS2, I have set the left tablet buttons to "Shift-Alt-Ctrl-Space" and the left strip to "Scroll-magnify." The right buttons are set to PS functions of "Back-Back one toggle-Hand-Brush pallette", and the right strip is set for tip size.
Configuring the brushes to pressure sense is easy to do, but hard to refine. I havent sorted them out yet. Tilt, rotation etc are yet to be explored.
The pen has a rocker switch on it, which I've set to "right-click" and to "pallettes begone!" Turning the pen over provides a configurable eraser!
Mapping:
I've mapped the mouse to full-screen, but find the pen best at about 60%, due to my odd workspace. YMMV
So far, I find the pen odd, but that's hardly suprising is it? I do feel that the benefits, once understood fully, will be enormouse.
I have completely dumped my standard mouse btw, but it is perfectly possible to leave it plugged in, and it remains fully functional.
Software includes Corel Painter, which I havent tried yet.
HTH.

Cave canem

Messages In This Thread
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Rufus - Oct 12, 2005, 05:22
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Rufus - Oct 12, 2005, 05:26
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Toad - Oct 12, 2005, 10:35
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Rufus - Oct 12, 2005, 12:38
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Rufus - Oct 12, 2005, 12:44
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Rufus - Oct 12, 2005, 12:54
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Toad - Oct 12, 2005, 17:51
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Rufus - Oct 14, 2005, 03:12
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 first impressions. - by Rufus - Oct 14, 2005, 11:13