Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HELP!!! First attempt at newborn shoot

Hey Fiona,

I can't say to much about your picture, as I am not an expert on sharpening.

As for storage though, if you shoot any significant amount of pictures, it's very worth investing in HD space, and storage is so cheap these days! IDE HD cost next to nothing, USB 2 External HDs are as far as I know below US $ 1 / GB, or you can use firewire, if your OS does not support USB2.

People devlop their individual system of storing and sorting their pictures over time, and I found it does take some time a couple thousands pics or so until you figure out what's best for you. Some people sort by date, others by picture number, or others by title.
We had a thread somewhere on this topic, maybe some one can help find it??

The most important thing is that you know how to find the picture you need again quickly. One way is to give your pictures key words in Adobe bridge, then you can search by key words.
As for work flow, there is plenty of software around, free or not-so-free, I don't think most of us can affort the fancy options like apple aperture or the upcoming adobe lightroom, and it's not necessary either.
Irvan View has been mentioned, as has ACDC, both of which are nice and intuitive to work with picture browsers and provide some basic editing functions as well.

As for myself I have made it a routine to view my pics in faststone viewer, a freeware, and edit them in photoshop. from faststone, photoshop is only a key stroke away, as you can set whick program you want to use as external editor. I prefer faststone over Adobe Bridge, because I find it much faster (but that might be due to a bug with my settings, I never invested much time into setting up the Bridge properly.).

Faststone is handy as well because it can read most RAW formats, which I believe Irvan View can't (?).

I think you will get tons of advice here, pick what sounds reasonable to you and try few different ways

Keep asking if you have problems!

Have fun shooting, Uli

Messages In This Thread
HELP!!! First attempt at newborn shoot - by wulinka - Nov 27, 2006, 08:15
HELP!!! First attempt at newborn shoot - by Irma - Nov 27, 2006, 13:51

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by leskent
Aug 17, 2015, 10:45
Last Post by photowalker
Dec 27, 2013, 12:35
Last Post by PhotoPlay