Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Macquarie Harbour - Tassie's West Coast

I spent some time recently back in Tasmania with my family.
Although most of the time was spent doing things of a non-photography nature, I did get a chance to get away for a weekend to the West Coast with Tina which was wonderful.

We went on a cruise around Macquarie Harbour and up the Gordon River, also stopping on Sarah Island to wander through the remains of one of Australia's earliest, most remote and harshest penal settlements.

[Image: 282278193_GTMy7-L.jpg]
1. The entrance to Macquarie Harbour is called Hell's Gates. Although the harbour entrance is very wide, most of it is shallow and too dangerous for ships. A pair of lighthouses just 30m apart mark the only safe channel into the huge harbour.

[Image: 282278372_DKLp7-L.jpg]
2. A close up of one of the lighthouses at Hell's Gates. The little island it is stationed on is called Entrance Island.

[Image: 282278558_qPE9B-L.jpg]
3. The infamous Sarah Island. Probably best known for some of the grisly tales featured in Marcus Clarke's book "For The Term of His Natural Life".

[Image: 282281543_3cWWK-L.jpg]
4. The town located in Macquarie Harbour is called Strahn (pronounced "Strawn"). It has a reputation for delivering some of the best Salmon, Ocean Trout and Crayfish in the world.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Messages In This Thread
Macquarie Harbour - Tassie's West Coast - by Kombisaurus - Apr 20, 2008, 14:49

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Mar 25, 2015, 11:01
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Aug 29, 2014, 11:16